Grand Rapids / Mille Lacs – Opener Report

• ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Grand Rapids Report
    Left the cities at 4:45AM and we were on the water in Grand Rapids by 8:30 and first fish by 9:30… Small slot (17″ – 28″) on Splithand caused us to toss back a nice 19″. That fish came on a black 1/32 oz jig head a leach. Nothing for an hour, so we headed for the island. Ten Minutes in and I caught a nice 16″ eater bobbering with a red and white jig head and minnow. A small pike in the next 4 hours we decided to break for dinner. Well 12 hours later it was 6AM and we were off to Mille Lacs.

Mille Lacs Report
    Launched on the North side and started drifting 3′ – 6′ snells with leeches. With one eater added to the live well and a 24” CPR’ed, we decided to move to some rocks.

Saw a couple caught on the rocks and nothing else, so we met up with my cousin. I jumped in his boat and we decided to drift a few times a cross the rocks. A few quick strikes but no hookups and we were starting to plan our next move. Buddy called and said he CPR’ed a 24”. We drifted one more time and one more call from the buddy saying he just released a 25”, we were off to meet up with him.

I went to a 10’snell and hooked up with a nice eater. Next line down I added another eater. My cousin got into the action with a nice eater, when I felt a tap. Hook set and nothing is moving. My drag starts to head out so I tighten it up a little, it starting to budge. I figured a nice pike the way it was fighting, but I was hoping for that 30” walleye for the replica. It came short of my 30” but it was a nice 26 ¼”. A few pictures and back in the water she went, with no problems swimming away. My cousin takes two more eaters on nightcrawlers and a 20 ½” CPR’ed and we had had enough fishing for a weekend.

Hope to have pictures soon of the weekend. Camera is a little on the fritz right now.

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

19″ Slot Fish from Grand Rapids

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

20 1/2″ from Mille Lacs

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Eater from Mille Lacs

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

24″+ from Mille Lacs

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

26″+ from Mille Lacs

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice report and pics Scott!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Scott,
    Nice report and pics, very nice weekend.
    Jack..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.