Fisher-man Wharf–Lodging

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Hello-

I am looking for a place to stay on the lake this summer for a group of 15+ guys. We might fish but the point of the weekend is to play some yard games and have a couple.

in the past we have stayed at hunter’s and it has been great. this year they are full and currently can’t accomodate us. so this year we are looking at staying at Fisher-mans wharf or castaways.

Both these places have bars on site and appears to be accomodating to groups like ours.

My questions are:
    At Fishermans wharf- how are there big ice houses for sleeping and using as a home base? Are the houses close enough to the bar? IS there ample sapce to play the yard games (boccee, lawn darts, horse balls, etc…)? Is this a decent place to hang out?

Any feedback on Castaways?

Do you have any other recommendations on places to stay on the lake for a group like ours?

Thanks,
    Dan

bigcrappie
    Blaine

They have some big 12x 20 or close to that that I stay in in the summer after a night of fishing. They have a big table and heat and lightingand a tv.

deertracker

If he is staying in one of the ice houses wouldn’t he be staying in the overflow down the road? There is still a bar across the street, but not the Wharf’s.
    DT

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I had a camper at Fisherman’s Wharf for 15 years. Here is my take on your questions.

Quote:

At Fisherman’s wharf- how are there big ice houses for sleeping and using as a home base?

I’m not a big fan of ice house use in the summer. Ok in a pinch, better than a tent or back of a pick up. But I want a bathroom and real bed.

Quote:

Are the houses close enough to the bar?

The ice houses for summer rent are close to the bar. But that is a 2 edge sword there. You will have noise and traffic till 2am every night.

Quote:

IS there ample sapce to play the yard games (boccee, lawn darts, horse balls, etc…)?

In the main resort area – no. On a busy summer weekend the place is packed. The owner will rent out every square foot if he can. So tenters can pop up in some of the open common areas. But even if those areas are open, not a lot of space and no guarantee someone else is parking there.

Quote:

Is this a decent place to hang out?

Yes, nice bar, excellent food. Great ramp, harbor and docks. Nice location. Great views. Good fishing within easy reach even for small boats. Make sure to ask if there is a tourney the weekend you plan to visit. I would avoid tourney weekends if possible.

If you are still shopping, take a look at Red Door. http://www.thereddoorresort.com/cabins.html Yes, they sponsor IDO. But the place is nice. Newer cabins, well spaced out. LOTS of open area that should suit your group. No bar, so bring you own fixings there. To me this is a plus. Place is quiet. No traffic till 2am.

I’m not familiar with cabins at Castaways. But they have a nice bar there with real good food.

-J.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the information. I am not sure what i was thinking about not contacting Red Door. I just contacted them and hopefully will hear something from them soon.

thanks

big_g
    Isle, MN

Prior, they didn’t have a restaurant which hurt them I believe, now with the Waypoint Cafe, they got it ALL !!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.