Heading to Mille Lacs

• love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Hello Everyone,

Long time no speak The girl friend and I are heading to Mille Lacs the weekend of the 23rd to the 25th. We are renting a wheel house out of Hunter’s. My guess is there houses ore out near 2 mile. I haven’t been out in a while but am guessing that plain chartruse hooks with either a small shiner or large fathead are still the ticket. This is her first time ice fishing, she didn’t want me to go the whole year without at least one trip and offered to come along. Any other advise you can offer would be great.

Thanks,

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Sounds like you’ve got it about right. If you’ve got 4 rattle reels down I’d make sure to also put pink glow jig (demon jig or something like it) down on one of them as well. Also, we usually keep 1 or two lines within 8-10″ off bottom overnight since they’re really not coming up and chasing very well right now

shockers
    Rochester

I posted on the Ice Fishing forum yesterday, a Mille Lacs report. But our experience this last weekend was big shiner minnows worked best. Color of the hook didn’t seem to matter. Bare hook and shiners worked best. At least 2 to 3 feet off bottom; rattle reels. Good luck.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Thanks Will,

I will pick up some demon jigs as well. Is the jig bite worth it during the day or should we just rattle reel it and sit back and relax.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’d reccomend jigging at least during the morning/evening prime time periods. Even if it they don’t always hit your spoon I think it definitly helps for drawing them in to take a look at the set lines.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

I’d reccomend jigging at least during the morning/evening prime time periods. Even if it they don’t always hit your spoon I think it definitly helps for drawing them in to take a look at the set lines.

Wasn’t fishing mille lacs this weekend but this proved to help my dad and I out! Dad was using a deadstick and had a tip-up set on the other side of me 10 ft from the shack and I was caling them in. Of course he caught the fish but I got a few on the tip-up. It never hurts to have a buckshot spoon or vibrating, blade type bait to make some noise!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.