Mille Lacs Report – 1/5/13

• jollyroger
    MN

Made a solo trip to Mille Lacs today and the bite was pretty good! I hit a few northern mudflats and worked a few key spots both deep and on top. Most fish came on the deeper edges in that 30-32 foot range, but very close to the tips and inside turns I fished. Iced close to a dozen fish and most came on a dead stick. I got many to follow my jigging spoon, then I’d raise the dead stick and that’s how most hit. I packed up at about 5:30 to catch the Vikings game but should have stayed to catch a few more!!!

Best of Fishing,

Shawn Flemming

tbrooks11

let me get it straight, you had 2 poles, 1 with a jigging spoon (care to share the color?) and 1 deadstick pole with just a jig and a minnow?

Thank you

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

That one pic is absolutely awesome!!!!!

jollyroger
    MN

Hi MNTwinsFreak#1

I usualy had my deadstick (plain hook and minnow) at about a foot off the bottom. I was then jigging my other rod in many cases 2-3 off the bottom when I saw a fish on the flasher. I would then raise my deadstick to the fish and caught many that way. I was using a mix of spoons in gold, silver and glow colors.

tbrooks11

Thanks a lot for the help Shawn. im going to mille lacs for the first time on monday, and i have been trying to figure out the right cadence. Did you put a dropshot weight on the bare hook and minnow?

jollyroger
    MN

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the help Shawn. im going to mille lacs for the first time on monday, and i have been trying to figure out the right cadence. Did you put a dropshot weight on the bare hook and minnow?

I had 2 bigger split shot weights about a foot in front of the hook. Good luck on Monday

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Those are awesome pics. Keep em comin.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

She’s pretty!

chirp
    Rochester

Quote:

She’s pretty!

BK that’s not a CAT.

eyeaddict

Nice fish Shawn. Thanks for the piece and insight on what worked for you on the 5th. Did you catch any nice perch in the mix or all walleyes? I had also read where one of the east side guides did well in 29-30 FOW near the flats. Thanks have a good day, Steve

jollyroger
    MN

Quote:

Nice fish Shawn. Thanks for the piece and insight on what worked for you on the 5th. Did you catch any nice perch in the mix or all walleyes? I had also read where one of the east side guides did well in 29-30 FOW near the flats. Thanks have a good day, Steve

Hi Steve,

I didn’t catch any perch. Actually, graphing of fish was pretty slow, but most that came in bit. No slots either this time. Fish yesterday ranged from 19-25 inches.

fireline
    Rochester

Nice wheels, Shawn .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.