New Moon Walleyes

• grainbelteyes
    Waconia

Hit Mille Lacs for some night trolling last night, getting on the water about 8:30. With the south wind, my primary spot had wind blowing in on it causing a lot of surface weeds to interfere with the catching. After a short time and only one fish, a move was needed. Motoring to some calmer water, we started a new trolling run in some un-fished water for me. We contected with fish shortly into our first run and started piecing a pattern together. Ended the night with 20+ fish, the smallest at 19″ and the largest at 27, with many in the 24″+ range. These fish were fat and healthy, no skinny ones…The pattern emerged as a rock/weed/sand transition as common for this time of year in depths of 4 to 8 feet. Wally Divers were the bait of choice, in dark red, red chrome, and wonderbread colors approx. 30 feet back at 1.4-1.7 MPH. Water temps at 46-49 deg. Get out while you can as these fish are chewing… the next few weeks should be solid… Good Luck

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Nice fish and great report!!

Paul Delaney

Nice report are you pulling those baits behind planer boards or just behind the boat?

scott-k
    Red Wing

I was wondering the same as Paul…but also if were using electric motor in that shallow water?

micah-witham
    Richfield

based on the remote in his hand in that last pic I’m guessing they’re pulling those behind the electric motor. Seems really unlikely to be able to catch fish at 30ft back with the main motor running but I’ll wait to hear from the guys who were doing the catching.
    Fellas???

grainbelteyes
    Waconia

No boards. We were long lining with 12 foot rods. (the two guys up front). Ironically, I was running several different baits (rogues, HJs, SSRs,) ranging from 75 to 150′ back in the middle of the two 12′ rods and was not evening getting a sniff until I switched to a walleye diver (CD5) and ran it at 30′, basically right behind the boat. I run 10/4 fireline on all my Mille Lacs fall trolling rips for sensitivity and feel.

as far as the electic vs. kicker… actually both. I nearly always run the 9.9 kicker in conjunction with the I-pilot. Kicker is my thrust/power and I pilot provides steering and ability to feather the speed in tenth of a mile increments. Also, once our path was established, the record a track basically allows me to steer hands free and tend to lines, net fish, etc. Is there a disadvantage to running a kicker that shallow, sometimes, but when the fish are chewing, it doesn’t bother them, especially with some wind mixed in.

Good Luck on the Water!

josh a

Looks like you guys really got the bite dialed. I tried a couple weekends ago and was not nearly successful, although i did catch a few. This year is the first year I have fished Mille Lacs in the fall and I gotta say I wasn’t real impressed with the size of the fish, they just didn’t seem to be carrying that much weight. Your fish, especially in the second picture seem to be on the skinny side for fall walleye, is that just the size mille lacs walleye grow too?

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Nice job Nate. Looks like a fun night!!

carmike

Wow, great night out. I’ve been struggling to put anything that consistent together. Good to know someone’s getting them at least.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great looking fish Nate,
    Nice going
    Jack

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Nice work!

We had a heck of a time this past weekend. Fished from 6-10 Fri-Sat night and struggled to get a fish in the boat pulling cranks from 6-12′ in the NE corner.

Tried bobber fishing with leeches as well, and not a fish although I boat near us boated a couple in the time we were out. Not sure what the deal was….but it was a tough weekend.

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Nice Fish & Report

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.