Fun day

• chriswallace
    Andover, MN

After a long week at work, I was finally able to get back up to the pond. After Trav’s report on the leadcore bite, and the fantastic bite I had fishing with Hawthorne the previous week, I was pretty itchy to get some water time. Trav picked me up on the way up to the pond at 5 am. One of the guys to be fishing with was a member I have known through a few websites and ran into every now and again, Mark Bruzek, we all hopped into local guide Jason Betzler’s boat. Jason is a guide who runs: http://millelacslakewalleyeguide.com/

We hit the water at 7:30 am and we had non stop action pulling leadcore with him! What an absolute riot! I am not sure how many fish we ended up catching. Way too many big fish. (Such a rough problem) A couple of times, Bruzek overheard me saying a few choice words as I just get the lead all the way back out and as soon as I put it in the rod holder, its loading back up again!

We had multiple doubles, and near doubles and we were even getting fish on the planer boards before the boards were a few feet from the boat!

What an absolute gas! We fished till around 1 pm today, a lot of laughs and a great day in the boat with some great guys!

Not a lot of secrets to the deal, small cranks ruled the day as always, the #3 river rocker put fish in the boat, shadlings as well, tullibee and shiner were hot colors… One color I wish I would have remembered to have tried was redtail. After cleaning the fish I noticed “something” in their bellies, sunday, I will try it! Keep it small, keep atleast 3 colors of line out and go atleast 2 mph….Make some S turns, stay over 28 feet of water and watch the rods and drink lots of water! Between the River Rocker and the Shadling, its a great one-two punch for the walleyes. They both troll down, and can run at high speeds. The real neat thing is find out if the fish are eating that wide wobble the rocker offers or the tighter action of the shadling. Find the pattern and run em all like that!

If anyone wants to learn how to pull leadcore and with boards, give Betzler a call 763-360-1453, it will be well worth your time! I see all the members here looking to learn how to do leadcore. Get 2 other guys, pony up the money to book a trip and shorten the learning curve to doing it. Most importantly, find out if you like doing it or not! It is not just a MILLE LACS thing!

And bruzek, thanks for breaking my big toe by dropping the beckman handle on it! Was a great “turn and burn” trip, thanks again guys!

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Great day guys, looks like you had a hoot !!!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Your right Chris, It was an awsome day.

It just goes to show that there are still plenty of fish to be caught even in the up-coming “Dog Days”, if you know where to look. -Mark

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

way2 go guys! and great pics good2 hear u got some time off of work….haha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.