Possible state record….

• HdnPowrz

So say you have a possible state record boated. You don’t plan to keep it but have a replica made. What do you do next?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Funny you mentioned this. I was at Nature’s Image Taxidermy today talking about the same thing.

The above isn’t a state record..but we didn’t keep it.

John the owner of Natures Image explained the process to me.

PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS!

Length and girth measurements at a minimum…and more photos.

The photos are important because he wasn’t there to see the fish. Because the color of fish change for lake to lake, he can match the color to the replica. In fact, if the fish has something different about it… say a crooked tail or a scar this can be added to the mount too but needs to be recorded for John to know exactly what and where.

The alligator gar above looks EXACTLY the way I remember the fish….except it was thrashing a ‘ell of a lot more. We just picked it up today…she is a conversation piece for sure.

Now any taxidermist can make a fish out of a standard mold.

Your fish will look like a standard fish because all the molds for your size are the same. John has a way to make the fish look like your fish…just the way you remember it.

Guess that’s why he calls his place Nature’s Image!

The photo below is of a 22 pound largie taken from a lake in CA. Since I don’t know what a large mouth looks like, much less a 22 pounder, I don’t know if it’s an accurate mount. Still, it was beautiful fish!

Sorry for the turkey head in front of the bass tail.

For you river guys that have always wanted your belly busting 10 pounder to look like your fish…John is the guy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS Welcome to IDO HdnPowrz !!

brett-king

saw this fish myself last night wow!!!!! Nice work I need to call him on walleye I would like to have done.

HdnPowrz

Wow those replicas are impressive! That bass is just Awesome! Thanks for the welcome and the info. But the other part of my question is how do you get the recognition for the state record? I’m guessing you have to get it weighed on cert. scale. Witnesses? Who do you call. I am in pursuit of the Iowa’s next state record Northern Pike. I had an encounter a little over a week ago, and he is pushing the envelope. I must hunt this fish! I already told my wife (she is a photographer) that she is on call for a photo shoot if I land this fish record or not. It’s gonna cost me a fortune!

shaley
    Milford IA

To verify a state record fish theres no way that I know in Iowa to get that done and still release the fish. The stress of transporting to get verified at a certified scale then back may take a couple hours or more. I wouldn’t risk killing a fish to take it someplace to have it verified if you have all intentions on releasing it.. I always say I’ll release a state record muskie ( I have seen 1 maybe 2 that will go close) but not taking the chance on a maybe. Now if I’m positive it’s a record thats something I’ll have to deal with when the time comes.

HdnPowrz

Well that blows. You would think the DNR would want you to release all those fish records or not and if it is a possible state record you would think they would make it easier to have it certified so it can be released. I guess I was dreaming I could call someone and they would arrive with the scale, camera the whole works. Oh well. I guess I gotta catch it first then deal with a major decision…

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

I would takes lots of pics and weigh it if possible. I fish by myself 90% of the time so pics might be the only option if it was a muskie or something. Getting my name published as state record holder means squat to me so returning the fish is priority one for me. I will know what I caught and have pics to share with friends and that’s good enough for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.