First Ice

• nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Spent a couple hours on some fairly decent ice today at Morse and Cornelia. It was around 3-3.5 inches of good clear ice. Caught a bunch of white bass, perch, gills, and walleyes. Everything was under 8 inches though. Still nice to get out this early in NC Iowa.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I believe that is the 1st ice report we have had here ,congrats

The best is yet to come.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Its a fun time of the year! Either find first ice or chase river eyes. Love it!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Does anyone know if Safe Ice around Cedar Rapids? I have checked a couple ponds and they have less than 1 inch.
    Yup, got the itch,

eastiaman18

Temps are looking better and better! 8 degrees this morning. bring on the ice!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Went down to the little ponds around here today and punched through about an inch… Maybe by this weekend. The snow isn’t helping!!!

That little place on the REZ sounds like it might have some crappie in it again this year… I’l let you know once its safe.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

yO JC how you been fella? I know that REZ spot!!!

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

I know that spot too.

AC, I pulled a few whitetips a few feet from your work during the break last week. Left you a VM before going so you can’t hassle me for not trying. They’re still going but you really have to pay your dues. Got some blades and got a few on those, they are a blast to fish with but plastic was the best bite.

HANDLINE 2
    Waterloo, Iowa

I drove around this morning and looked at Brinker lake and Big Woods, Wloo/CF they still have quite a bit of open water. I’m going to Casey Lake Mon. morning looking to fish for sure. RH

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Quote:

I drove around this morning and looked at Brinker lake and Big Woods, Wloo/CF they still have quite a bit of open water. I’m going to Casey Lake Mon. morning looking to fish for sure. RH

Maybe some of the smaller ponds might be a go. Heard of someone north of W’loo had 3.5″ of ice fishing on a private pond. I’ll have to do some hunting around after shotgun season. Good fishing, let us know what you find.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Andy and I were out yesterday on a solid 4 inches. It was a local farm pond.
    I scouted the backwaters of the Cedar and found ice ranginf from 3/4 ( got lucky ) to 1-1/2. If you can find unprotected smaller areas you might be in luck.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

hit 3 solid ponds over the weekend ranging from 1.5 to 5 acres and they all had 2.5 to 4 inches of solid ice on them. Game on

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.