Cedar Falls Trout

• sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Fished Prairie lakes in CF Saturday and Sunday. The DNR stocked about 1500 trout on saturday, and on a positive note due to weather, most are still there. The fish are still goin’ pretty well, but adverse conditions made it uncomfortable to say the least over the weekend. Panther Martins were good for us this weekend, along with 1/64 and 1/32 oz. jigs and 1 inch tubes, white seemed to be the best color in the plastic. A small ice float was necessary sometimes in the wind for casting weight and to keep the bait in the fish zone. Like I mentioned before, the grand majority of these fish are still left, so if you’re looking for some for the pan, or just a little action, prairie lakes are a must stop within the next week!

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Saw the above post so i tried my luck today after class for a while but only caught one. There seemed to be a hatch of some gnats and the fish were all over the surface feeding. The gnats were small and black, some guy fly fishing had the hatch matched and was nailing fish.

OohMiracle
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I made it out there tuesday afternoon. a black 1/32oz rooster tail did the trick for me. release 3 trout, 4 other hits and several other trout following my lure to shore.
    Walleye wisdom let me know if you can make it out during the week after 4:00pm. I could meet up with you, we could have a good time telling stories about Wheres Waldo. just Pm me
    i bet we could even get Waldo to stop out.

canoli
    Waterloo, IA

He he… that might have been me you saw. I fished it Monday morning on the south end of the lake and bagged my limit. They were nailing the black woolies and stone flies. I also had a black ant that was working. I know there are some decent fish in the stock. The DNR puts a few decent broods in with most stocks (according to my BIL, the super avid fly fisherman who chases them around when they stock ). I also know because I saw a few guys bring in some decent fish (probably 17″- 18″) before I got mine.

The good news is that since it’s been so dang cold, most people are probably going to leave it alone for a little while longer. With vacation from work this week, I plan to get down there early and often!

Question- does anyone know if they stock again this year? I couldn’t tell from the Manchester DNR stocking calendar. It’s rather vague, with an entry that just says “Waterloo” (no specific location, and besides, Prairie Lakes are technically in Cedar Falls).

If I get some more this week, I’ll try my hand at posting pics. Good luck!

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

They won’t stock it again until the next ice fishing season. The Waterloo on the schedule is Waterloo creek, no association with waterloo.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.