New lake

• Anonymous

Pretty neat that there are plans to develop more lakes for you guys to the south of Pool 4! Any info on what type of fishery they intend to develop? It’ll be cool to see what today’s modern practices will yield for results! To keep CPR at the forefront, put a huge emphasis on “New Lake Records”! Hope it works out well for all you in that area!

Anonymous

Sounds a lot like Palo.

Are people really “afraid” of the river?

Anonymous

I know a good number of people that do shy from rivers. I don’t know that they’re so afraid as what they just don’t know what they’re missing. A few scary tales and they’d just as soon go to a lake. Intimidation? Fear of the unknown? Just a lack of knowledge? All I know is I have to fight like heck to get my dad on a river! He’ll talk creek fishin’ all day long but get a boat involved and he’s instantly reluctant. I’m going to wear him down though! Maybe a couple of trips down the Yellow just to show him how much fun working a current FOR FISH can be!

Anonymous

I hear it is to be in the mold of Saugema. I actually live about 2 miles from the “lake” as it stands. They have planted tree rows and I understand that they plan to dredge and bulldoze humps/etc. There are several roads crossing it and at least 2 main creek channels.

From the rumors I hear, it is fully directed for fishing (much like palo gianni) and I hear bass, crappie, gills, cats and tiger musky will be stocked. Will be a nice addition to my neighborhood.

In answer to your other question, I do believe many people are afraid of the river and the barges and currents associated with it. There is really not much here in Eastern Iowa (within an hour) so this should be a nice addition. Ill keep the board posted on updates If i hear them.

Anonymous

Sounds groovy to me, when it gets filled we’ll have to motor around it and see what it holds for fish.

I remember taking a ‘river boating safety’ class at the arsenal. The coast guard teacher almost made me thing he was purposely trying to scare people off. I know afterward, I was leary about running around in the river.

I’ve never musky fished, but a bunch of guys I know claim that they’ve seen them in the shallows out at Palo while fishing for ‘gills. Maybe this year I’ll troll some big spinnerbaits around the weedbeds and see if I can tie into one.

Anonymous

Hay, we were just talking today at work about those toothy critters at Palo lake. My buddy fishes it a lot and says that you can see em layin up shallow and knock em in the head with jigs, etc. and you cant beg em to bite. Years ago, when Palo first opened, I was fishin there and seen a guy catch one of em but thats been it for me. About 5 years ago I set there in my boat and watched a guy for 45 minutes fighten something and when he finally landed it I cruzed over and asked what it was and he said it was a Grass Carp. Oh by the way last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights after work I went up on the Cedar Above Edgewood, and got into the smallies. Was after Walleyes but twas fun none the less.

Anonymous

RE: The Cedar – you fishing the rock outcropping on the shallow side, or drifting on the deep bank?

Anonymous

Been workin the deep side of the river up about 3-3.5 mile up from the ramp. Nother 3/4 mi. up from there and last year I couldnt get any farther. I haven’t been up there this spring yet. Might give it a try next time up thata way. There’s a big sandbar between the rip rap I been fishin and the point where I couldn’t go any farther that I want to work for Walleye but Im not sure how to go about it. My river Walleye fishin stuff has been restricted to below the dams on the Mighty Miss. Not familiar with the tactics of rock and sand bars. Anyone want to give any hints, Im all ears..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.