12Mile or 3Mile reports?

• goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

Planning to spend all day saturday chasing fish on 12 and 3 and just wondering if anyone had been down that way recently that could give a report? Will be chasing eyes….email me if you would rather not post here. Thanks

goody

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

A group of guys from the Twin Cities including myself is coming down this weekend also, we are staying on 3-mile, never fished the lake before. Look for the grey Alumacraft with 60 Yami’. Any info you have on what to expect would be greatly appreciated (weeds, rocks, timber, flats… etc). Also, are there any online resources with a map of the lake????

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

3Mile is a two-part lake. In the lower half, you will find depths up to 40ft with breaks and points with a main creek channel going down the middle. There are coves on the edges of this with standing timber. The upper half is all wood. More wood than one could fish in two weeks. There are some rock piles, mounds, and old roadbeds to make things interesting as well. Quite a few rip-rapped shores and jetties as well. Your typical Iowa reservoir but done the way it should be. Very nice lake. You can find contour and structure maps at the Iowa DNR page…. http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/fishing/lakes/thm88.html

hope that helps

goody

raideriowa
    Waukee, Iowa

Goody is right 3mile is and amazing lake with all the cover you could ever want …… The lake is great for crappie and large bluegill as well as toothed fish ….. look for the large brush piles on the gps map on the Iowa DNR website … I was down there three weeks ago and really got into the slabs ….. three guys in a boat next to me caught over 150 crappie …. I was only there 2 hours or so and caught at least 50

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Just got back from 3 mile. Fished a total of 10 hours. The fish that I found were shallow. 174 Crappies over nine inches, 10 Blue gills over nine inches, also did’nt know there were perch in there but got a 12 inch dandy. Some Crappies had toothy marks on them and then I spotted the culprit a pretty big musky in the clean water. A close to 3 Lb Bass put on a good fight with my long pole with 4 Lb line & tiny hair jig. Good luck as this huge cold front is going to put a damper on the shallow fish…
    John

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Gills that must be a fish story. Ha, Congratulations on a heck of a day on the lake. You’ve got my interest up so I’ll have to give it a try down there..

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

…..and let me tell you, fishing today was a chore! I fished for 8hrs on 12Mile, fighting the wind the whole day (I am worn out!). Couldnt put any consistent bite together at all. FOund a couple of ‘eyes (that sure tasted nice tonighte ), a couple of gills (that now reside in my neighbors pond), a medium sized crappie full of eggs, and a bunch of yellow bass (of course). Found fish in depths from 14ft to the deepest water. Saw a few others try to make a go of it, but nobody seemed to be doing well and nobody stuck around too long. Dont blame them. It was a bear out there today. Still fun to be on the water catching fish!!!

goody

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Eric,glad to see you got out and spent some time on the water.
    I’ll make sure I tell Cole and Austin that you “finally” put a eye in the boat this year.
    Are we going to do the annual July trip again this year??
    The Hale gang.

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

Yeah, its about time I get some real time on the water! Shame they have to kill that lake. Heard from a reliable source that during/after spawn the DNR put out gill nets and took out a lot of big females to put in 3Mile. Sure hope that is true. Said they took out quite a few 30″+ fish.

We are definitely coming up in July…not sure what dates yet, but we will be there!

goody

clay
    Kansas City, Mo

Ran up to 3 mile on Saturday. Crappies were non stop. 18-25 feet of water by the brush piles. 80% were 9 inch plus. Did manage a few 12 1/2’s and a dozen over 10 1/2. Couple gills and 1 nice perch. Tried for eye’s just before dark, but no luck. Water temp 53 degrees.

Clay

raideriowa
    Waukee, Iowa

Hmmmm I may have to sneak away there this weekend

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

I am headed that direction on Sunday…as long as the weather holds out (talking t-storms sunday maybe…grrrrr). Would be out sat as well but have a stupid wedding in OMaha I have to go to….grrrrr again.

goody

VikeFan

I’m thinking of heading to Three Mile this weekend–probably Sunday. I’ve never fished it, so I’m curious to see what I find…

raideriowa
    Waukee, Iowa

anyone been out at all? any reports? I am planning on spending the weekend down there this coming weekend

goody
    Iowa (Des Moines area)

5-8-05

Gave mom the perfect mother’s day gift and took my dad out of the house for the day fishing

Fished 12Mile all day…7:30a-3:45p and would have fished longer if the 40mph winds hadnt been blowing us all over. Fished eyes and managed a livewell of them. Nothing special, but all brought to the knife (killing the lake this fall, so all stocker and eater fish come home to be restocked or eaten ). Got lots of yellow bass, a decent cat (restocked), 2 dink crappies, and the walleyes. Wind was killer but the bite was ok once I put a pattern together. Water temps were low for this time of year and the temp at the dam was lower than it was 2 weeks ago….that wasnt good. Still managed fish and took a beating from the wind to show for it!

goody

raideriowa
    Waukee, Iowa

Thanks for the reports Eric good to see at least someone is getting out there

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.