3 mile lake???????

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I am tagging along on a trip down to 3 mile in april. I am trying to do a little research but not having much luck. Tried the IA DNR site, not much available, I have a .pdf map, and I understand that the lake is only 11 years old. Any ideas for things to key on on this lake? Multispecies?
    Mainly bass.

Thanks in advance,

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

There are tons of standing trees on this lake. I would think you would just try them on different parts of the lake. It is a cool one to be out on for the day. The last time I was there, there was a bass tourney there that day. There are some marked brush piles also.

herb
    6ft under

Bas crappie gills and walleye are the main species with a few tiger musky. Lots of structure. A good map will show the road beds and channels. I’ve taken a lot of walleye in the trees. The crappie run the normal up and down cycle for Iowa lakes.

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

the north end by the sumerged trees is a good spot, pulled out a couple of nice bass there last year, on the fly.

FredNordman

Stop at the bait shop in Afton. You can see it from Hwy.34 He has free maps of the Lake and is full of good info. All species of fish are available. You might consider 12 Mile Lake which is just a few miles further west. The DNR is going to lower the lake 20 ft.to do some reconstruction of the Lake and they have lifted the size limits and quantity limits on all speceis of fish. Good Luck

Nordy

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Thanks for all your input guys, knowing the guys I’m going with it looks like this one may be more about beer than fish. Going with a bunch of noobs to fishing, so the less time it takes to get on fish the better, at least for me.

Thanks Again

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I’ve been making a annual trip to 3 mile for the past 6 yrs. Usually the last week of april or first week of May. Depends if it’s an early yr or not.
    It’s an excellent fishery with lots of bass if that’s what your after. Personally I prefer the huge gills and very decent Crappie fishing on my home made jigs.
    Last yr I did something very different. I made two trips down there and spent the night in my tent cot on the deck of my boat. Each trip was a 24 hr stay with about 200 fish caught each time.
    The fish cleaning facility is also very excellent
    I suggest being selective for what you keep so that the fishery stays prime for next yr
    John

perc

Hey Herb,
    Just thought I would correct you in your statement “with a few tiger musky.” There are no tiger muskies in 3 mile. They are all pure breds and there is more than a few. I know a guy who had a eleven fish doay down there last summer. When they are on down there, look out. Just thought I would correct you.

Perc

herb
    6ft under

Not a problem Perc. I thought I read they were tigers. Never fished for them so I didn’t pay much attention. Thanks for the correction.

3way
    eastern iowa.

did you mean their lowering 12mile lake this year or 3 mile lake? going to rathbun the first weekend in june, if the fishing isn’t good or the wind is howling we might take a trip to either of the two smaller lakes. havn’t been to either yet. i do know when rathbun sucks the locals head for one or both of those two lakes. never been to rathbun that late in the spring. always hear thats when the giant slabs are caught. looks like the lake will be either normal pool or lower this year.

herb
    6ft under

12 mile is being lowered this year. When they get done with it, it will be a few years for the fish to have any size to them. 3 mile will be getting a lot of pressure for a while. It would be nice if Rathbun would take on another 10 to 15ft of water for the spawn. Very little structure at water’s edge at normal pool anymore.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

When Rathbun sucks, as in wind, Water temp… I used to head to little river which is a little closer.
    I’ve never heard about the big slab Crappies caught in June but that time does bring to mind the good Walleye fishing at Rathbun.

3way
    eastern iowa.

thanks herb for your info on 12 mile. have they started the draw down yet? if i lived alittle closer i would fish it heavy till i couldn’t put my boat in anymore. are they going to do the same improvements as they did in mcbride? i hear there are maps or videos of the mcbride improvements. i’m sure some locals got everything on video. it would be a great piece of info to have in your arsenal. if there are maps for sale somewhere, i’m not aware of, i would purchase one if available. i like fishing mcbride but never left there with any consistant #’s of slabs. now that the river levels are way up, i can get to those secluded crappie hot spots on the river for a few weeks maybe.
    Beer is proof that God loves us & wants us to be Happy.

herb
    6ft under

The reason for the drawdown on 12 mile is to get rid of the yellow bass and carp. I doubt any renovation as far as structure goes will be done.
    The DNR put out a press release the other day announcing the liberalizing of fishing at 12 mile. They want to get rid of as many fish as possible before they “kill” the lake, and restock it.
    You can go to the DNR website and get maps of 12 mile.

raideriowa
    Waukee, Iowa

Anyone been out at all? I am thinking of heading down there this weekend ….

raideriowa
    Waukee, Iowa

anyone braved the wind? Any reports?

lonboy
    Harlan, Iowa

Hey there guys,

I am about 1 hr. from three mile.

Here are the facts on the lake that I know.

Lots of Purebred Muskie there I caught a 44″ there last year. The buddy I was with caught 9 in one day with his daughter. Troll the main part of the lake using buthertail(firetiger).

They say there are some very nice walleye there. In the spring go to the main part of the lake and cast crankbaits to the shoreline.That is what I have heard anyway.

I believe that crappie are still deep, but will be moving to the trees on the nortern end. try slip bobbers for them.

Use the bait shop in Afton for bait and information. This man is well versed on both 3 and 12 Mile lakes. Warning do not use the bait shop in Corning, It is a nice place but the guy will not give any useful information about the area.

Great facilities at 3 mile, nice lake for Iowa anyway.

Yes, they are going to work on 12 mile lake. I thought at first they were going to drain it all the way. but now they may take it down partway and kill it off because of the Yellow Bass population. Lots of huge muskie in there. At least that is what the bait shop always told me. He fishes the muskie at nights there. Call before planning a trip to 12 mile.

Oh yes, 3 mile does have pretty good bass fishing , but beware, lots of pressue and bass tournament fishing on this lake.

I have been there and seen boats from IDA memebers, glad they are visiting and hope to see more of them.

PM, me if you have any questions on the area or you need a place to stay. In fact I leave this offer to IDA members only, if you need a place to stay and want to save the motel costs.

I have a 5 bedroom house in the country and you are welcome to stay. he he he

Have a great year guys,

Lon

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I stopped and checked out 12 mile and it looks like the water level is down about 30 feet. They are doing some work with heavy equipment on the east end of the road bed with rip rap, rock piles, etc.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Interesting that this post got back up near the top in the Forum. Again this year we are heading down, hopefully the wind cooperates, last year it was 40mph out of the north for 3 straight days. I will be staying at one of the cabins in the park, planning on fishing for muskies, and maybe some bass. Keep an eye out for a gray Alumacraft. See you on the water.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

If Rathburn sucks try Lake Miami by Albia, not a very big lake but we have caught some nice crappies there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.