Flash Flood Warning Woodbury County

• moxie
    Sioux City,IA

***FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR THE NORTHEASTERN HALF OF SIOUXLAND UNTIL TOMORROW AT 7 A.M.***There’s another chance of rain tonight, some will be heavy with an isolated severe thunderstorm not out of the question. Look for scattered thunderstorms tomorrow, with readings in the middle 70s. The weather remains unsettled for the rest of the week, but we could dry out next weekend.

The current at the Floyd River went from calm to raging in a matter of hours. The sand/mud banks started to cave in and the water color turned dark chocolate. It was scary to be close to the banks caving in. It was a sign from God to leave even though I didn’t want to.

Don’t go out tonight..very dangerous for shore fishing!

BBKK
    IA

Wow, stay safe!

We had lots of rain today also, some street/creek flooding but nothing major thank goodness. A few hours ago we got about 3.25″ here at my house in about an hour and a half. Basement is flooded again.

Stay high and dry the next couple of days! A fast flowing river/stream is nothing to mess with.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Heard that whole area was pounded for the last couple days.

So ends the drought.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

So ends the drought.

Our weather dude the other night mentioned that going into the spring weather pattern a month ago this area needed 8 something inches of rain to make up for the dry and drought conditions. We had received something over 17 inches when he’d given the report. We’ve had one, nice, dry day here since then.

I have a bundle of sweet potato plants that can’t wait to go in the ground any longer so I’m slipping on the mud boots and heading to the garden to get them pegged into the hills I made the other day for them.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE LITTLE SIOUX RIVER NEAR CORRECTIONVILLE. * UNTIL SATURDAY AFTERNOON. * AT 09AM MONDAY THE STAGE WAS 18.3 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 19.0 FEET. * FORECAST… RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE BY 12 PM MONDAY AND CREST NEAR 21.0 FEET BY MONDAY MAY 27. A SECOND CREST NEAR 22.1 FEET IS POSSIBLE EARLY ON THURSDAY MAY 30 IF THE FORECAST RAINFALL OCCURS. THE RIVER WILL FALL BELOW FLOOD STAGE BY FRIDAY MAY 31. * AT STAGES NEAR 23.0 FEET… IOWA HIGHWAY 31 NORTH BEGINS FLOODING. IF BACON CREEK BETWEEN CORRECTIONVILLE AND CUSHING IS ALSO RUNNING HIGH… WATER WILL BEGIN BACKING UP BACON CREEK AND FLOOD THE SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF CORRECTIONVILLE ALONG AND NORTH OF COUNTY ROAD D22.

All my fishing spots are no good to fish

BBKK
    IA

There is a small creek by my house I used to fish smallmouth in. Typical stage is 2.5′ I think, and about 60cfs flow. Today it hit 14′ and 4,000cfs. Crazy how much water can go through such a small area.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Looks like storms in the forecast for the upcoming week.. Water levels will be high

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The same here Tom, plants waiting to go in and can’t till the garden. Theres so much water coming down the creeks now compared to a few days ago that thier unfishable because of all the grass and limbs coming down. The roads that have boat ramps where I could get my boat in to go up a couple creeks are all under water, theres barriers up. No drought here eigther.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Wow..God’s light show(lightning) is on here..beautiful.

BBKK
    IA

Still have lots of water there moxie?

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

I don’t know Kevin, been working all week

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Still have lots of water there moxie?

Floyd River is still kinda high. Little Sioux River is high. I don’t know about the big sioux.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You guys wouldn’t believe the speed of the Cedar here coming through town. I’m not kidding and I know its going past at a solid 15 mph, you’d be on a fairly fast run to out run it. I’m pretty sure the DNR has a ban on boats being on the river right now,,,but some of the flooded timber looks reallly reallly good, to run a few trotlines from tree to tree. Its too bad too because just a 100 yrds off the main channel and alot less current is alot of very good looking spots.

I sat at the end of an asphault road that the rest of the road went into and was under water. I picked up about 3 dozen crawlers that were coming out of the water onto the asphault road within 20 feet of my car, in about 3 hrs. All were crawling right around my car. You could see them crawling in the grass just in and out of the water, turn your head and 30 seconds later there would be another 3 right at your feet.

I fished shallow thinking the catfish may be in feeding but they weren’t, maybe it was the freshly cut grass, I think they were out deeper. Maybe they already had thier stomachs full or just weren’t feeding in the freshly cut grass that was cut a few days befor. The flooded timbers close to the river just looked to good and from experience Its a really good bet thats where they were.

Going to try to find a place tomorrow, maybe in the creeks because they ought to be falling but the fish will still be in them within a mile of the river. A couple days ago the grass buldup that hung up on the sinkers made it almost impossible to fish, even in slow back current areas. Not as much rain within the last two days so the creeks may be a go now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.