Larsen Park Spillway

• moxie
    Sioux City,IA

I didn’t want to waste my day off sleeping after a 12hr shift, so my son and I headed out to fish. Went to the boat ramp by the Hilton but no bites so we moved to the spillway closer to Argosy. The water was clear inside but dirty out at the main channel. Not much action but caught an unexpected few species, even caught my first gar. All caught on minnows, they weren’t biting the worms, dipbait or plastics.
    Used braided line and it worked well bringing up the fish from a 20ft. drop at the spillway.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Those gar are pretty cool, eh? I can just see it thrashing like crazy pulling it up the 20′ drop lol!

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

I thought it was an eel at first

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Congrats on the Garfish! Pretty cool catching one of those.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

we might have to head south by dakota city, been hearing that the wingdams down there are holding fish pretty well. I know I have had better luck on the nebraska side than on the iowa side, since the wingdams are over there. have you fished from the nebraska side moxie?

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Thanks guys..No Shane I haven’t tried the Nebraska side, I’m still getting lost here in Sioux City..lol..

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Thanks guys..No Shane I haven’t tried the Nebraska side, I’m still getting lost here in Sioux City..lol..

you really need to. lots of fish caught behind those wingdams. I have caught nice saugers, nice eyes, smallies, etc over there. the wingdam before the train bridge is my favorite. caught crappie in a wingdam pool about a mile south of the train bridge also.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Believe me I will venture there eventually

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Believe me I will venture there eventually

its sandy back there but my yota handles it just fine.

Try using either a white swirl tail or a #5 or #7 shadrap in crawdad color. you will get saugers, walleyes, small mouth, and gar on the shadraps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.