Reel preference

• justinhall03

I am buying a catfish reel tomorrow. I have several shimano and Abu Garcia LP bait casting reels, but I am looking for something heavy duty. I am trying to decide between the C3 and 6600 C4 Abu Garcias. Anybody with experience using either or both have an opinion?

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

What kind of cats are you goin after? If it’s channel cats then the c3 should do the job. For flatheads though your gonna want something more heavy like a 7000i. But if you dont target flatheads alot a c3 will get em in.Personally I’d stay away from the c4.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Welcome to the IDO!!!

If you ask the guys in the cat forum they can help alot more with this but I think I have the c3 and like it alot.

Handles the flats I catch in Iowa waters.

justinhall03

Thanks for the advice everyone. However I was out early this morning before I received any replies and just bought the C4. Big mistake. I will be returning and getting the C3. I preferred the thumb bar on the C4, but after using it I just don’t like it at all. Drag pressure is not as it should be, casting with braided line is not so great, and I just do not like the retrieve with the heavy weight for current tied on. I tried posting in general forum and post wouldn’t go through for some reason.

On the other hand, i gave up catfishing and fished a new pond for bass with my new shimano citica, AG orra SX on falcon bucoo micros and caught 29 largemouth and 15 bluegill on plastic worm and rattle traps. Don’t worry I released all! The gills were hitting large rat L traps and shad raps! Largemouth were all around 16-18 inches except one 5 pounder.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.