Asian carp show up in more lakes

• jsrevermann
    Central MN

It seems that any body of water that is connected to a river will someday be infected! These lakes were supposed to be safe from the carp, but once a flood comes through these fish move like a wild fire. Then after the carp get in they want to spend $600,000 on a fish barrier. Seems like too little too late to me.

To read the story click the link below.
    <Asian Carp on the Move>

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So this DNR guy at least confirms the thought that they only reproduce in large rivers. I hope it is true, because that would mean that the fish would be less of a problem. If it were only true for Zebra mussels as well.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

The problem is they “prefer” large river systems to spawn in. Sounds like a careful choice of words. Hope they are right. I know of very few lakes around me that aren’t connected in some way to the Mississippi.

Nut

thegun
    mn

Quote:

but once a flood comes through these fish move like a wild fire. Then after the carp get in they want to spend $600,000 on a fish barrier.

and how much good do you think the fish barrier will do on the next flood?

shaley
    Milford IA

Quote:

Quote:

but once a flood comes through these fish move like a wild fire. Then after the carp get in they want to spend $600,000 on a fish barrier.

and how much good do you think the fish barrier will do on the next flood?

Where it will be place the floods would have to match or be higher than the 93 floods to not work, last years floods were still a few feet below the 93 floods…I hope they do get the $700K and get it built this year, will solve 2 issues, invasives getting in and help stem the outflow of gamefish we currently have…

Although in a sick sence of humor it would be cool to see jet skiers and waterskiers dodging flying carp….

The local fishing clubs have wanted a barrier for years and have been shut down on all local levels untill now, the rich lake owners once adimatly opposed to any kind of barrier now are opening their wallets and giving freely to get the barrier installed ASAP…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.