Lake McBride Help

• bforristall

Hey central Iowa anglers…A buddy and I are making a trip up to Lake McBride in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if someone could point us to a public ramp. Never been to the lake before and could use a help to get pointed in right direction as well. Not looking for “hot spots” just some don’t go there because of shallow rocks, etc. Thanks!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

There are 6 public ramps on MacBride – which one you want to use will depend mostly on what you’re after.

I’d say that 90% of the time I go there I’m just bass fishing and use the North ramp – on the road from Solon to the park, you’ll see a boat ramp sign pointing to your left before you pass the clubhouse at the golf course. This time of year, if there’s cloud cover, either of the bays flanking the boat ramp should have baitfish moving in and the bass will be following them.

Crappies: main ramp – enter the park, I think the sequence is left at the first “T” and right at the second. There will be signs marking it. I’ll warn you that I’ve had lousy luck on the specks there the last year or so, but that could be my willingness to abandon it and fish for bass.

If your heart’s set on fishing the South arm, you have to go through Solon and past the high school, across the causeway and take an immediate right turn. I’d say the ramp’s about a half mile down that road. I’ve had a handful of good days around the causeway when the fish are deep, but that’s not where I’d be looking with the dropping temperatures. There’s a creek arm on the other side of the ramp that’s always looked interesting, but I’ve wasted enough time in there that I don’t spend much time on it now.

I’ve been told that walleye fishing is good in the North arm also, but walleye fishing has always been so hit or miss for me that I don’t really chase them much (at least not at MacBride).

Can’t think of any shallow/danger areas… at least during open water season. You’ll want to keep an eye out for sasquatches, though.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I haven’t been on the lake recently, nor have I heard much, otherwise I could offer more help. Locate the baitfish with your graph and fish submerged structure close to baitfish.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Last I was on the lake a couple of weeks ago, baitfish were starting to push up on the shallow flats in the bays and creek arms. Bass were right behind them.

I’d start with a white spinnerbait or rattletrap and see where it takes you.

If MacBride is lousy, the crappies are starting to bite on Coralville. That’s where I’ve been hanging out.

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

Quote:

Thanks for the help. I will keep Coralville in mind. I think that was out next years “get a way day”. How are these lakes for ice fishing?

McBride is a great ice fishing lake. Big 10″-12″ crappies, along with plenty of eater walleyes. I’d be careful on Coralville though, it’s a flowing res. and has many thin spots if you don’t know it.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Macbride has some thin spots too where springs keep the ice soft – the one I encountered was near the marina on the North arm. Pretty miserable experience going through, fortunately it was only waist deep.

Around the main ramp I’ve never had any problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.