New Fishing Report added…

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Great report James, 1 week from tomorrow . How critical was the size of the jig to your retrieval? Anything out of the ordinary? Thanks for the info, looks like I have some shopping to do.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m a big believer in refining of jig weights and getting it just right so you could slowly swim these baits out from shore and over the tops of the cabbage without constantly hanging up made a huge difference. IF you were just a little too heavy you were constantly in the weeds or forced to fish the baits to fast. When the wind was down I’d fish 1/8 and 3/16 ounce heads (mostly 3/16) and when the wind really started to blow I fished 1/4 and 5/16 (mostly 5/16). Once I had the jig weight set up right it was really pretty easy fishing.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Just a quick update for those heading out to Devils this week.

Shallow with new growth cabbage is the key that we found. We caught all of our walleyes in 6′ of water or less and almost all of the walleyes came on #7 shallow running shadraps in either hot steel or hot perch patterns. We found these cranks to run the perfect depth just over the tops of the emerging cabbage. As always I like to stop and start the cranks on the retrieve and doing this created a lot of strikes by following fish. We caught tons of walleyes with only 1-2 under 18″. Average fish range was 18-22″ with 25″ being the biggest. I could not find a good bobber bite for bigger fish this trip but didn’t give it much of a try since casting cranks and hammering walleyes is to much fun to abandon!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.