Devils Lake report 05-20-10 to 05-22-10

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Was out for my first trip to North Dakota, very different type of Walleye fishing than I am used to. The fish out there are very healthy (man there is a ton of Freshwater Shrimp). Water was still pretty cold found mostly mid 50’s surface temp, except for Saturday when the wind was blowing 30 to 40 miles an hour the temp went to 46 degrees. Our best fishing was in Cormorant Bay by Black Tiger Bay and up in the 6 mile Bay and Creel Bay area. Nothing really shined, caught some on slip bobbers, a few on cranks even some on live bait rigs a little deeper. The most fun was had one afternoon casting a 4 inch Wild Eye Swim Shad Firetiger Color, found a group of 19 inch Walleye’s that would just crush it as you cast in into the tree’s . You could not even see the bait it was so far down in their throat. Overall a good experience but not the numbers we had hoped for, overall size and health of these fish was outstanding. They got 3 inches of rain of Saturday night and looking at the radar I would assume they got hammered again yesterday. Have fun out there.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the report, I’ll be out there in less than 2 weeks in the same area.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the info. I’m leaving in 2 hours. I’ll drop short reports each night while I’m out there since it sounds like there’s a number of guys gearing up for a trip in the short term.

The weather looks… good. That’s never happened before for me on Devils Lake.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Good luck James. I was out there two years ago on Mem Wknd. Make sure you have a collection of Rapala Esko’s(sp?). Blue for sure but the red is the bomb out there. Cast to weed edge and work back erratically to boat.

Scheels in Fargo and GF should have them. I understand they are only sold in ND specifically for DL.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Good luck James. I was out there two years ago on Mem Wknd. Make sure you have a collection of Rapala Esko’s(sp?). Blue for sure but the red is the bomb out there. Cast to weed edge and work back erratically to boat.

Scheels in Fargo and GF should have them. I understand they are only sold in ND specifically for DL.

Jason Feldner called me two days ago and asked me to bring more white paddletails and more “product X” I’ve been field testing so you know how I’ll be fishing.

Nothing beats a walleye THWACK on a light jig and plastics setup.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.