DL tactics?

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’m heading to DL with the parents, wife and our newborn on the 20th. Are the eyes mostly in the shallows? Do any of them hang out in the deeper areas or should I just concentrate on finding the shrimp in the tree tops? Just looking for sugestions to to help us get on fish a little faster. Thanks for the help.

Michael

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

Try to find warmer water and wind swept shores. Throw cranks until your shoulders are sore . The eyes and pike should still be shallow and hungry. I was there three weeks ago and the bite was just starting to heat up.

If you’ve fished DL before, the lake is about three feet higher than last year, so new fishing spots to find

Good luck

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

In addition to the previous post, which is spot on by the way, bobber fishing the trees is the easiest (especially with extended family on board) and there is no shortage of spots. Leeches are best for this. Slip bobber rig to swivel, lighter line from swivel to hook or jig. This allows you to get your bobber back from snags.

Don’t overlook rigging also. Was very productive for us up there.

Awesome lake, you’ll love it. If it’s three feet higher, you’re going to find some very interesting places to fish! Take some pictures of the structure if you get a chance and post them here!

Eric

cspierings
    Oregon, WI

Hey OneStout we arrive at DL on the 20th of June too. Staying in Oberon. If you want to compare notes on the fishing throughout the week send me a PM and I can hook you up with a cell phone number. In the mean time you may want tot check out a edsbaitshop.com for fishing reports and fishingbuddy.com

This is only my second year of going to DL. I hope its better than last year.

cspierings
    Oregon, WI

Just got back from my week on Devils Lake. Last year’s trip, my first was a bust, too early and nasty weather. This year what a difference. My son and I had at least 3 days where we kept track of the numbers of fish caught and one day we caught over 120. In fact we had a 3 hour period where the two of us caught 60 fish just slip bobbering in trees. Slips in the trees where the wind was blowing produced walleyes reliably all week the biggest was about 18″ doing that. Cranking seemed to produce more big fish with the largest going 29.75″ and 9.7 pounds. Took a picture and let her go.

The pike fishing was fun too and the number of 24-30″ fish was phenomenal. A couple bigger than 32″ with the biggest for the trip going 38″ another picture and release. We never targetted pike but we did catch them in bunches.

One interesting pattern that seemed to develop was that active white bass, spawning?, seemed to drawn big pike and walleye. Our best fish were often caught in 6′ of water or less when the white bass were biting like crazy.

We used leeches when slip bobbering and jointed fire tiger and bleeding olive shad raps and mimic minnows when cranking. First time using a mimic minnow. It was obvious they were producing because you couldn’t find them in many places in DL in the colors that produced the best.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.