devils/stump lake report

• tbuaer66

we left saturday morning for 6 days of fishing with the first two days exploring stump lake,and moving on to devils lake monday-friday.we got to the sunlac inn in lakota nd around 1pm,had a quick bite to eat,and went to go launch at the stump lake ctate campgound.i grew up in this area and had never been to stump lake before,and was excited and a lill nevous about going there,instead of going down the road another 20 miles to devils lake,but we stuck with our plan to try stump lake at least the first day.we were not disappointed,we were fishing by 2:30 and spent the next hour driving around the lake looking for a place to fish,i was looking for some shallow water bays,and since this lake is up 24 feet over the last 4 yrs,didnt think it would be hard.we found a likely looking bay that was shallow and had flooded trees and buck-brush and started casting cranks,husky jerks/#5 shad raps and caught a northern right away,within the bay we were in we noticed a back bay attached to the main bay and went into this smaller bay casting,we noticed the water temp went up from 58 to 63 in this bay,and a few casts later we hooked up with the first walleye of the day,a fat healthy 22 inch fish,there was several buck-brush piles in the enterance to the bay,and we set up here to intercept fish as they moved in and out of the bay to feed,all of us tying on slip=bobbers with leaches,we were in about 10 ft of water ,and at the end of the day,we had 10 walleys from 17-22 inches,with another 20 or so caught and released,and many,many northerns.day 2 we headed back down to stump,launching around 11 am,and boating and trying to find other fish holding ares,but ended up back at the same spot with bobbers and took another 12 fat,healthy walleyes.monday we launched out of grams island around 3 pm,and with a steady north wind for the past 3 days,made our way out to moneymaker point to a spot i fish every spring when the wind is from the north,wasnt long till the first bobber sank,and we did alot of catch and release but had no problem catching the last 8 walleys we needed to fill out our limit.we ate 5 walleys for supper that night,and got ready for day 4.day 4 brought a wind change to a south wind and one gut in our group expresed he wouldnt mind bringing home some northrens,we spent most of the day pitching cranks and keeping 6 northens that all we around 6 pounds,and 3 darn walleys that hit our cranks.we had another batch of walleys for supper that night,and one of our partry headed home wendsday,so the 2 of us left had the hard job of catching 7 walleys on wendsday to fill out our limit,since thursdays weather forecast was for 45 mph winds,and 3 inches of rain,we caught our seven walleys and had then bagged and tagged by 4pm,realing several smaller walleys in the process,the pitures are of our last days catch,and a view fron the lake. overall count was 42 walleys cleaned,12 eaten,30 brought home(10 each)close to 100 walleys caught and released,and who knows how many northerns,at leat 50 i would guess.came home a day early cause of the weather,over-all a great trip with great company,thanks

tbuaer66

wow,lots of typos,was pretty sleepy when i wrote it

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Congrads! Sounds like a great trip. I keep saying, “Someday…” on fishing Devils Lake. I may just have to start saying, “Today!!”…RR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.