Devils Lake Report March 31

• jh55429
    Crystal, MN

The walleyes are still biting out on Devils Lake. Made it out last night for a little bit. We caught 10 walleyes and a northern between two of us. The walleyes ranged from 14 to 21 inches. The northern was about 3 lbs.

The fish we caught between 16 and 20 feet of water. We drilled a series of about 20 holes from 12 feet to 25 feet of water to find the fish. We would move from hole to hole to find the fish and then keep moving once the fish left.

Most of the walleyes were caught on 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz buckshot rattle jigs and another jig that was similar to the buckshot rattle jig. The jigs were tipped with a minnow head. Color didn’t seem to matter as the fish were caught on various colors and they didn’t seem to key in on one specific color. One walleye came on a set line rigged with a green/chartruese Jig-a-Whopper and a whole fathead. The northern was caught on a 3/8 oz Sonar.

There is still about 36″ of ice on the lake with a little bit of slush on top of the ice. Most travel on the lake has been limited ATVs or by walking. Caution should be taken near brigdes, trees, or where current is present for thin ice.

Josh Hukriede

scottsteil
    Central MN

Josh, how is the ice out that way? Do you get out there quite a bit?

jonathan
    NW MN

From my sources over there, I’ve been told the coulees and bridges all have open water. The Pike bite has been really good the last week or so, and the ‘eyes are showing up too.I’ll be over there either this Saturday or next, and will try to post a report.

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

I’ve made it out quite a few times this ice fishing season. I don’t think I will make it out there anymore this year. I made it out on Saturday April 2 for the last time. I will be leaving Grand Forks in the begining of May and heading down to Mille Lacs since I will be graduating from college.

The last time we made it out there was starting to be some open water under a bridge real close to where we fish. Since the daytime temps are consistently getting into the 60’s and staying above freezing at night it won’t be long till the ice breaks away from shore and the lake opens up.

If you are interested in current conditions of the lake you can give Ed’s Bait a call at (701) 662-8321.

Josh Hukriede

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats on the degree Josh!!! What are you going to be when you grow up??

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Hey Kooty, I’m getting a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Mathematics from the University of North Dakota. When I grow up I’d like to fish and hunt all the time , but I don’t think I would be able to make a living doing that .So I plan on finding a job that has to do with design engineering or manufacturing engineering when I graduate in May.

Josh Hukriede

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Don’t ever grow up, it sucks.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

How would you know Kooty ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.