Front Bait Well does Not Fill

• procor
    Mounds View, MN

So I have been out on the water a few times working bugs out, networking the electronics, etc. I have not been able to fill the front bait well at all during the three outings. I did read the manual and this boat does have the “Pump Out” valve in the rear livewell, but the bait well appears to only have a typical spray nozzle.

I do have the dial selector (below the throttle) to “Auto” and I hit the ‘B’ button on the dash, and I can hear the pump running, but no water makes it to the livewell. When I left the lake last night, I did not select ‘Drain’ since it never got filled, but in the drivway and trying to trouble shoot it, I moved the dial selector to ‘Empty’ and a lot of water started draining from below the boat. This tells me the plumbing is getting filled, but may be blocked? Clogged? Is there an additional valve somewhere that needs to be turned? The guy before me said he never used the bait well. I called Frankies and they said if the pump is running and there is no water, its likely clogged. But if it was never used, I cant see how the pressure line could get clogged. Any thoughts is appreciated…

mike mulhern

Do you have an air compressor and can you blow back air in the line? I once had a mouse eat a hole in my live well line and it would fill the bilge instead…. without the pump running. As in why is there water coming up the floor drain?
    There may be a switch inside the livewell on the top. What kind of boat is this?

Mike

procor
    Mounds View, MN

2018 Ranger 621FS. I could try the compressor trick I guess. I have no water leaking anywhere, boat is bone dry. If it was never used, there shouldnt be a clog..

blackbay
    mn

Check the fill tube and make sure it’s open. It should turn to the left to open and right to close. Same topic is going with the title Crestliner Owners…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Check the spray nozzle. Some of them are push/pull open/closed.

Ripjiggen

It’s clogged or your auto drain switch is not fully opening. I have same boat just a little older. Same thing happend to mine. Be careful with those switches as over time they get stiff and I have snapped a few.

They valve inside the live well does need to be opened.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

2018 Ranger 621FS. I could try the compressor trick I guess. I have no water leaking anywhere, boat is bone dry. If it was never used, there shouldnt be a clog..

Be very carful pressurizing those lines, you can create even more problems. I would check the nozzle inside the baitwell to make sure it is screwed open far enough to allow water flow.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

I heard back from a shop that said they can get an air lock. They said to put the boat into reverse then turn the pump on. I also has some guys suggest the same reverse trick from WalleyeCentral as well. So I will try this as well as turning the nozzle to make sure its open.

Ripjiggen – that Recirc/Empty/Auto turn knob does seem stiff all on its own, I can see that breaking in time. If the valve is not opening all the way when placed in auto, what was your next step> Is there an adjustment that can be made in the linkage? Any lithium grease or WD40 be added anywhere in the linkage to loosen it up?

Ripjiggen

I tried all those solutions they helped but minimal. It is basically a long stiff wire like a metal coat hanger that is surrounded by tubing. It is pretty hard to get at it from either end. The bend in the wire that connects to the knob can bend out of place or snap the knob itself. Pretty common in this system. Try that reverse trick and report back. Be interested to see if that helps.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

I will try these ideas guys…thanks again for the ideas. I will let you know the outcome as it seems other guys has seen this same issue.

blackbay
    mn

If its air locked and you have cartridge style pumps you can also pop the cartridge loose and retighten. That usually will allow water to be pumped.

Timmy

Had the same (frequent) problem on last boat (Lund) and it was remedied each time by running the engine in reverse and goosing it in order to force water into the pickup tube to prime the pump.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Ok…no luck so far! Bait well still will not fill….here is what I did per the suggestions from others..
    I removed the screen on the suction inlet for that pump on the bottom of the boat transom, stuck a garden hose up the hole, turned it on, then turned the pump on and nothing came out into the baitwell.

I did not take it on the lake again yet and try reverse, but dont have a lot of hope on that since people say that going backwards helps force water up intake of which that is what the hose does.

I also manually filled the baitwell with water, turned it to ‘Recirc’, with the hose at the suction inlet with no luck. Again, I can hear the pump running.

Any other idea guys?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Maybe the pump is shot.I had a bilge pump that would run but not pump.
    They can accidently get turned on and run dry for a little to long.I found out on a very wet day my bilge pump was not working.

RobertHoover
    Michigan, lake st.clair

clogged pipe/nozzle or the wheel on the bottom of the pump cartridge is stuck , not spinning or damaged. I would pull the correct pump and start there. next you can put a shop vac on the opening where the pump cartridge was removed and see if its drawing from the front.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have deduced the problem to the flow valve that lies between the water inlet at the rear of the boat and the pump itself. When forcing water in from the back of the boat, it will not enter the pump housing, but instead, flows our the outflow port at the back of the boat. Unfortunately, it is out difficult to get into that area, so just gonna take it to Frankies. Is that peoples first choice is Frankies or Rapid?

Ripjiggen

Not my first choice. Actually might be my last. Unless you bought your boat from them which I assume you did not. Ramsey Boat Center is another option.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Ended up taking it to Rapid Sports on 65. I had a good experience with them from the start of when I called them, to the time I picked it up. They had it done 3 days ahead of schedule. It ended up being the flow valve that was faulty. Since they were in there, they decided to put in a new pump as well, all covered under warranty. Thanks all for the ideas. After trying everything, that was the only solution I could come up with…the flow valve.

mojogunter

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Rapid Marine. Glad they were able to figure it out for you.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Rapid Marine. Glad they were able to figure it out for you.

X2 on this.

Some years ago I bought a cheap used Crestliner boat from them for around $2,500.

They treated me during the whole process like I was buying a brand new $60,000 boat.

Could not have been more impressed with them, this was the 65 location.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.