Friday nights topic…….Remembering when

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Remember when the State Fair was alot about the rides, concerts, auto races, machinery hill and the food. Seems food has taken over along with the concerts.

Whats your favorite part of the fair both past and present. Do you attend any county fairs?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Races are gone. My kids go there for the rides, sit on the tractors and eat cookies. From my view not a lot has changed other than a lot of overhyped food to navigate through.

Jimmy Jones

Ma and I have always spent a day at the fair. I like the livestock barns and she likes her crafts and quilting. She’s actually had quilts entered in the senior division at the fair a couple times and I had a display of plastics I injected displayed in the same area and took third place.

The core of the fair never seems to change except for a new food vendor here or there. We tend to gravitate to the peripheral edges of the fair and spend the most of our time in those places. The Schells taphouse gets a favorable nod from me. That blueberry beer, just one, tastes super when its hot outside. And there’s usually some singer or small band offering some sit-down time to enjoy a bite to eat and maybe another beer.

It might just be me getting old, but I think there isn’t a good time or day to hit the fair to expect any unrushed enjoyment anymore. And for just us two old farts its well over a c-note to spend the day.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Definitely the food. Since they remodeled the Grandstand a few years ago, it’s a nice venue for outdoor concerts too. I usually take a stroll through the livestock barns and the DNR fish pond area as well.

Not a big fan of the cookies. I’m fine with one cookie, but I don’t need a bucket of them.

Zero interest in the rides anymore. If it’s not bolted down, I ain’t going on it.

Haven’t been to a county fair in years. The Steele County fair is probably the best one though.

AK Guy

Back in the 90’s I saw a lot of concerts. I watched some of my favorite performances happen there.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m not a big fan of the state fair. It’s just one giant headache to me but Mrs Crappie likes to go so sometimes I get dragged along.

On the other hand I love a good county fair! The last few years we’ve been going to thr Wright County fair and that’s a good one. Carver County too

Dan
    Southeast MN

Growing up in the country, county fairs are like the super bowl for farm kids. Still enjoy them.

The state fair isn’t for me because of all the people, parking, traffic, etc. But it is a spectacle worth some respect for what it is. I belive it was Stefon Diggs, who didn’t leave here on great terms, who just last year mentioned something about the state fair product in Minnesota. From what I’ve read it’s top notch compared to other states. When I was stationed in Kansas their fair wasn’t any bigger than most County fairs here. Also, weird to not see cheese curd trucks everywhere.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ll go support some 4H kid at their local county fair and bid on their overpriced beef cattle or hog, and eat a meal at their concession stands and usually make a donation or crazy bid on some silent auction item. Sometimes I run into kids I coached or local farm families we enjoy supporting.

As for the state fair, it doesn’t interest me in the least bit. I’d describe it as marginally organized, expensive chaos.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That place is what my nightmares are. I don’t go. The woman wants me to every year but ends up going with her friends.
    The north branch carnival is going on as I type this and I tell the kids sorry but no thanks. Save our money for a week or 2 span up north camping. 2 kids at the carnival cam eat up 200 pretty quick the state fair would eat up 400. No thanks.
    We supported the local lions club last night at baseball and bought 4 burgers and 4 dogs some curds and fries.
    I do love all the eye candy tho. Especially this day and age. But I’ll suck that in on the u while I’m working there

Brad Dimond

More of a tradition with my family. We’ve been going with the same group of friends for 38 years, added a daughter in law to the crew recently. I miss the sprawl of machinery hill from my youth, enjoy the animal barns and Creative Activities. Met a local guy this spring who enters his maple syrup in the Fair, I will do so this year. Also may enter grape jelly and medium salsa just for kicks. One of our friends won a blue ribbon for the baby quilt she made for our son in 1994. Can’t pass up the Dairy Building, grab a shake and drool over the meats and cheeses in the display case.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Since they started disarming law abiding citizens last year I won’t go anymore.

It’s fine though, grew up a few miles east of the fair, my first apartment was directly on the southeast corner of the fairgrounds. Used to go 9-10 times/ year but never paid. I’ve had my fill and then some.

By the way, despite not admitting lawful concealed carriers, they still had hood rats get into a gunfight inside the grounds last year. Never again for us unless the metal detectors go away.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

I’ll go support some 4H kid at their local county fair and bid on their overpriced beef cattle or hog, and eat a meal at their concession stands and usually make a donation or crazy bid on some silent auction item. Sometimes I run into kids I coached or local farm families we enjoy supporting.

As for the state fair, it doesn’t interest me in the least bit. I’d describe it as marginally organized, expensive chaos.

This right here is the best answer, I would also add getting a shake/malt from the local dairy booth. A lot of the food vendors at you local county fair are just that local so keep the money in the area, don’t buy form the carnival food vendors.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My favorite was in 2021 when a lot of out state people didn’t go because of crime, and a lot of Covidians didn’t go bc of the virus. Crowds were basically nonexistent, and we went with my SIL/BIL from Nebraska and 4 kids in 2 double strollers so that was greatly appreciated! I never went to the State Fair until meeting my wife, who lived about a mile away and loves the fair. Now we go every year, and usually take a half day PTO to go without the kids for cost and logistical reasons (ie stroller/double stroller in crowds and daycare is already paid for) and enjoy trying the new foods and a bunch of the classics is my favorite part.

Benton County Fair was always worth a trip or two when I lived in StC for the demo derby and just phenomenal people watching. Haven’t been to Scott or Carver County fairs yet since living in the SW Metro but have heard good things about both.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I never went to the State Fair until meeting my wife, who lived about a mile away and loves the fair.

You marry a Como Park gal BigWerm?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I hate to say it, But I love going to the state fair. Some of the best people watching available. Some fun food to try ( Even if its over priced ) We also usually hit the Benton County fair here in saint cloud. Its rather small, but still a fun evening.

orve4

Big Werm Benton County Fair use to be Great for people watching. Now that I work as a nurse in corrections have to steer away from that to many familiar faces if you know what I mean. At the age of 36 I maid my first ever trip to the state fair and I had a good time.

We usually now attend the Stearns county fair which is closer to our house for some rides and fair food.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You marry a Como Park gal BigWerm?

Ha! I wish, technically I think she was in the Hamline neighborhood, but seemed more like Frogtown if you get my drift.

Umy
    South Metro

We go every year.
    Yes, overpriced but LOVE to people watch.
    Pork chop on a stick, french fries, bag of saltwater taffy, blue slushy, bag of jerky/beef sticks and we’re good. In an out in less than four hours.
    Fish pond, I like to go early to see the Percherons. Wander through the grandstand and just people watch.
    It’s entertainment and we have very few vices. Don’t drink, smoke, gamble.
    As said in some other threads, we choose what want to do and how we spend our money.
    We enjoy the fair for what it is.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Grew up a couple blocks away. Made a killing selling over priced pop on the street corners. Don’t think Id be allowed to do that these days. Certainly brings alot of people from all over in.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

never went to the state fair till i met my wife. it took alot of convincing the first time. i did enjoy it.

after that we went about every 4-5 years. been a while now with the wife’s issues but hope to go back again. spendy yea but worth it now and then. parking……we parked at the maple grove transit and took the bus down……easy peasy. hit up certain foods and places but mainly people watched………

brandyman
    West central MN

Went to state fair once in late 90’s and have not went back. Too many people aimlessly walking around. And my kids can’t eat the food anyway due to food allergies.
    I live in a county of 5000. We walk through the fair in 2 hours and 1.5 hours is visiting with someone we know. They have a lot of entertainment (rodeo, truck pulls, etc)in 3 days, it’s all volunteers and done well.
    We support the local vfd’s and lions as much as possible out here!

big_g
    Isle, MN

We used to go about every other year, until we found the Stelle County Fair. It’s the State Fair on an 1/8th scale… love it !

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Ha! I wish, technically I think she was in the Hamline neighborhood, but seemed more like Frogtown if you get my drift.

Nearly spit out my coffee on that one. I understand completely lol

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.