Friday night topic, voices in your head

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I grew up a sports fan. I instantly can identify the voice of Vin Scully, John Madden, Herb Carneal, even Halsey Hall, Mel Allen from way back. 50 years from now Drifter & Bmans boys will be posting about Paul Allen & Dan Gladdens voices they grew up with.

Funny how things from our youth stick with us.

Have a great weekend.

Iowaboy1

The voices in my head are arguing with each other again and my imaginary friend is running with scissors.
    Ozzy sang it best, voices in the darkness scream away my mental health, can I ask a question to save me from myself?

Been one of them weeks, ugh!!

Doug M
    SE SD

Can I add:
    Football: Howard Cosell, Merlin Olson, Dick Enberg, Pat Summerall
    Basketball: Billy Packer, Dick Vital, Jim Nantz
    Baseball: Bob Uecker, Keith Jackson

Some of them crossed over. Love me or hate em, this is who I listened to plus the ones Dutch listed..

MX1825

Being a Packer fan I remember
    Ray Scott and Max McGee

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Definitely miss Herb Carneal. Got to meet him several times at Twins Fest and the traveling caravans.

I never missed, This Week In Baseball, with Mel Allen…..How bout that!

I know Jon Madden is considered greatness, but I couldn’t stand him. I’d rather mute the TV and listen to my mom and sister argue about everything.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Ray Christensen calling Gopher football and basketball.
    Al Shaver calling North Stars. “He shoots, he scores!”
    Jim McKay on ABC’s Wide World of Sports.
    Keith Jackson on Saturday college football. “Whoa, Nellie!”

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Ray Scott, Al Shaver, Herb Carneal and Ray Christensen would be on my radio Mt. Rushmore

eyeguy507
    SE MN

not popular on this forum but Kevin Harlan was probably the greatest of all time and he was doing the wolves play by play when i grew up. PA is really good at his job but Harlan is play by play royalty.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Do any of you recognize Jim Zabel,
    Mr. “I Love It, I Love It, I Love It!”?

Deuces

I’m w Sheldon on this one, voices are maddening!

Voices of my childhood in the sports realm? I got nothing other than wally the beerman

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dave Moore
    Steve Cannon
    Charles Kuralt
    Walter Kronkite

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

not popular on this forum but Kevin Harlan was probably the greatest of all time and he was doing the wolves play by play when i grew up. PA is really good at his job but Harlan is play by play royalty.

He still is one of the best! He makes boring games sound exciting for both teams. He makes streakers running the field into to ten calls.

“With no regard for human life!!! KG slams it home!!!”

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Al Shaver immediately comes to mind. As a teenager, I really got into the North Stars, but few games were broadcast on tv. I would retreat to my bedroom and listen to Al call the game on AM radio.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

One of my earliest memories of the Twins (mid 60s) is listening to Herb Carneal and Halsey Hall and watching my grandpa smoke green cigars on the east side of St. Paul. Also the transistor radio in my dad’s pocket as he was working around the yard. I still do that with yes, a pocket radio.

When I’m bringing in a nice fish, “Get the Frabill, get the Frabill!!”

Umy
    South Metro

Howard Cosell

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Cosell
    Kurt Gowdy
    I’m not a GB fan but liked Max McGee’s perspective on the game and reff’s.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

With Howard Cosell getting a couple mentions, I wonder how much alcohol was consumed by Howard and Don Meredith before and during the first few seasons of Monday night games?

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Bob Uecker, I put him up there with the best of them. live long Brewer fan here, but even in a game when the Brewers are getting blown out, he still keeps you interested with his stories from his playing days. Also, his acting career was pretty good (just a bit outside…. ball 4, ball 8, ball 12….) along with his Johnny Carson appearances (15 or so if think)

stout93
    Becker MN

I liked Harlan doing the wolves games, but have you heard him on Monday Night Football radio? It’s like listening to an auctioneer…and I don’t say that in a good way..

James Conklyn

Dating myself but Earl Gillespie (John’s father) did the radio broadcast for the Milwaukee Braves. In grade school I used to lay in bed and listen to games on my transistor radio. Even snuck it to school when Braves were in world series.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Do any of you recognize Jim Zabel,
    Mr. “I Love It, I Love It, I Love It!”?

I still say that after a good play when listening on the radio!

MX1825

Bob Uecker, I put him up there with the best of them. live long Brewer fan here, but even in a game when the Brewers are getting blown out, he still keeps you interested with his stories from his playing days. Also, his acting career was pretty good (just a bit outside…. ball 4, ball 8, ball 12….) along with his Johnny Carson appearances (15 or so if think)

OMG how could I forget Ueck?????
    Fantastic on radio OR tv. bow

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

I liked Harlan doing the wolves games, but have you heard him on Monday Night Football radio? It’s like listening to an auctioneer…and I don’t say that in a good way..

did not know he crossed over to NFL? i have not heard him doing NBA games in a long time too.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Tony Dean from his fishing show had a smooth voice years ago before Jason Mitchell. Growing up in SoDak we watched him every week.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Tony Dean,watched him all the time.

Snake ii’s

Harry Carey.
    Best game I ever watched/heard was when Harry was in the hospital and Bill Murray filled in for him. Bill even called Harry in the hospital while on the air.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tony Dean from his fishing show had a smooth voice years ago before Jason Mitchell. Growing up in SoDak we watched him every week.

Totally agree… in fact I like IDO shows because James delivery and the fact its like he is talking specifically to you, was a trait Tony Dean had too !

Gotta throw in Bob Casey… Kirrrrrrbeeeeeeee Puckit ! waytogo

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

“JUUUUUUUUUUST a bit outside…”

“Just a reminder, fans, comin’ up is our “Die-hard Night” here at the stadium. Free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won a pennant.”

Uecker is the best announcer for a game by a landslide. His stuff in Major League coupled with his real life stories puts him at the top.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

“JUUUUUUUUUUST a bit outside…”

Tried the corner and missed.

How can these guys lay off pitches that close?

Alex Fox

Growing up in Iowa means you didn’t get any local pro sports, other than the Cubs on WGN. So Harry Carry for me. Also watched a ton of college football…nobody did it better than Keith Jackson!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.