Friday night topic

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Lets say a guy had a brain storm and decided to start a new car company from scratch. Lets say the guy had the money. How long would it take to do the start up? The drawings, the molds, the machines, building the buildings, hiring and training a workforce. Producing marketing material, building a supply of replacement parts, getting government approval for everything.

How long from the thought, to the first car rolling off of the production line?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

1 guy? 1000 years.

Realistically though, Rivian was founded in 2009 and they only started delivering cars in 2021. A little over 10 years.

You’ll need a lot of capital to last 10 years without income.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

is this what Musk did? Not sure how long it took him but he is the only one that comes to mind

Reef W

is this what Musk did? Not sure how long it took him but he is the only once that comes to mind

Tesla was started by two other people and after 6 months or so Musk bought in as their largest shareholder. Several years later he was named CEO, replacing one of the original founders, and the two originals left the company. I think that was about the time they started selling their first car the Roadster. The Roadster was based on licensed Lotus Elise chassis and other stuff and I think Lotus actually made them under contract from Tesla but I don’t remember exactly.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

ah, thank you for the info, I had no idea

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Looks like it took Tesla 5 years from incorporation to production.

Mullen started in 2014 and is just now starting to produce and sell vehicles, sort of.

Rivian took around 12 years.

Lucid took around 14 years.

Those are 4 modern examples that I can think of. All have required huge sums of investment money. Other than Tesla, none can be considered successfully at this time.

Beast

you going “Back to the future?”

billy03z71

If someone could only make a nice 90s chevy again I bet it would take less than a year to sell more than you could make.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.