Freshwater Shrimp

• 3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Does anybody ever see freshwater shrimp available around the Brainerd area?

Red Eye

Think bait shop in park rapids use to sell them.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Does anybody ever see freshwater shrimp available around the Brainerd area?

i havent purchased bait in the brainerd area in a while, so no help. i know the baitshops up by glenwood sold them because they were a hot ticket on Minnewaska back in the day.

there is a new bait shop right next to the sippi river north of crosby i kinda like!!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have not seen freshwater shrimp at any bait store in a long time now. I remember a time they were a hot seller and almost every baitstore sold them. They were not easy to keep alive and did not stay on the hook well at all.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

They were great for panfish. Pillager/ Motley area used to have them too.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

They were great for panfish. Pillager/ Motley area used to have them too. Nowhere now. Thank you for the reply

Icefisherguy

Fletchers bait in Sauk Centre has them in their shop according to their Facebook page.

Brittman

20 years ago they were the rage. My father in law raved on their effectiveness

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

It’s been at least 20 yrs for me. When I ask fellow ice fisherman they just go blank, as if they never existed. One guy told me to try Cub.

Snake ii’s

Live feeder shrimp are available at most of the larger aquarium/fish stores.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It’s been at least 20 yrs for me. When I ask fellow ice fisherman they just go blank, as if they never existed. One guy told me to try Cub.

No where near you but Vados Bait had them a few years ago. I have not been in the store this winter so not sure.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Blue Ribbon Bait in Oakdale has them in stock right now.

-J.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

anybody ever use shrimp you get at the grocery store? that $hit has to work on a jig as fishy as it smells….right? not talking about putting a jumbo shrimp tail on a 9mm tungsten but if you ripped a chunk off and jigged it, that would be just like a waxworm maybe better with all the motion it would put out.
    i think i remember that one particular lake Michigan angler uses them for big trout through the ice if he runs out of spawn?
    perhaps James and PJ should do a mythbuster episode someday to see what fish will actually eat and not eat. i love trying to prove people wrong. few years ago i heard that walleyes won’t eat stickleback minnows and i proceeded to catch all sorts of eyes using them on the Sippi.

@jamesholst

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Interesting idea. Bring some cocktail sauce and if it doesn’t work eat the the shrimp.

Marine Pete

Many people use store bought frozen shrimp for bait. It is killer on rainbow trout bobber fishing. Seen many groups haul their limit out of stock trout fisheries using them.

Marine Pete

Many people use store bought frozen shrimp for bait. It is killer on rainbow trout bobber fishing. Seen many groups haul their limit out of stock trout fisheries using them.

Ask yourself why would any fish prefer a dirt smelling worm over shrimp?

Marine Pete

I used fresh water shrimp on BLG years ago with astounding success. Very hard to find now, thanks for the update on Blue Ribbon. I’d better get there now that the word is out.

blank

Check out the Casey’s by Lum Park on the east side of Brainerd. I think I saw some there last year. Not sure if they have any this year.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Was there yesterday. Waxies, spikes& worms ALL black and dead. No shrimp.

Jimmy Jones

I’ve seen people using regular shrimp for catfish bait and doing well. The tiny cocktail shrimp sold in small cans might work as a panfish bait.

usmarine0352

Just saw this on FB.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230121_205909-scaled.jpg

AK Guy

S&W Bait in Brainerd has freshwater shrimp.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I tried some cooked shrimp for an hour or so at my local trout pond and they swam past it and smoked my set rod with a minnow. Not really a great example but the bite was hotter than a pistol after work Friday! Nice ones too and I can confirm those new Maki plastics are legit. I think I’m done buying waxies?

Attachments:
    1. 20230120_182535-scaled.jpg

Ripjiggen

Love Maki plastics. I rarely use live bait except for set lines.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i have made it a priority to not use waxies this year and its been one of the best seasons of hardwater fishing…..we shall see if real makes a difference once we get into February when fish get really lazy?

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

i have made it a priority to not use waxies this year and its been one of the best seasons of hardwater fishing…..we shall see if real makes a difference once we get into February when fish get really lazy?

I haven’t used live bait ice fishing in many years.
    With the shrimp,raw works better than cooked.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Thanks AK, time to go visit the minnow nazi! You saw them?

Nodakk

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AK Guy wrote:</div>

Thanks AK, time to go visit the minnow nazi! You saw them?

Was just in there today. Didn’t see them directly but they have a sign up by the minnows that they have them in the back cooler

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I saw Blue Ribbon had some in stock a couple days ago. I thought about picking up a can and going to my favorite little fishing hole and accidentally knocking the can over into the hole. mrgreen

Kidding.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.