Fraud Warning

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve been the subject of a fraud attempt twice in the past week now. I receive a call from the same exact phone number listed on the back of my US Bank cards with the caller ID saying US Bank Corp. they identify themselves as being from US Bank Fraud Prevention and ask me if I made a $700+ purchase minutes ago. I tell them no and they tell me they will cancel my card and send out a new one.

Then they ask me to confirm some information. The first time they asked me to give them the last 4 digits of my card. Today the asked for the last 4 of my SSN.

They begin asking for this info when they read the first 6 digits of my card number then ask for the personal information. Apparently the first 6 digits of your credit and debit card numbers are common numbers and are not unique in any way.

Just hang up if these people ask for any personal information at all. Don’t be fooled if they read the first 6 digits of your card number. They do everything possible to keep you on the line so you don’t hang up and actually call the number on the back of your card.

Both times I hung up and called US Bank myself and found they were both fraud attempts.

Just a little PSA because these are very convincing phone calls.

What’s crazier is that I got a similar call about a month ago that was 100% legit. They never asked for any personal info though and they actually sent out a new card.

CaptainMusky

Thanks for the head’s up! These people go to great lengths!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Agreed, thanks for the heads up. It’s amazing how sophisticated fraudsters have gotten. Looks like in your case they’re exploiting fraud to commit….Sad to think they’ll get a few this way.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you tell them you won’t give them the info they will tell you they can’t block the purchase unless you “confirm” it.

The first time they guy had an accent. Today they did not.

They seem to try and nibble little bits of info away from you at a time so to not raise any red flags.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These guys are real pos. Fraudsters got my girlfriends uncle not to long ago while he was on his death bed. They took 67k from his bank account and he was so sick with cancer he didn’t know they were scamming him, they were threatening eviction of his home. 2 weeks later he passed away and that’s when the family seen how much they took from him.

Bill Cadwell

I usually don’t answer a call unless I know the number. I got tired of all the insurance companies calling me trying to get me to change medicare insurance company and also got a ton of teleprompter calls. Enough was enough so I quit answering unknown numbers. Now a days they can change the phone number that shows up as a local number that you see to fool you.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea there seems ti be alot of this going on lately……we also are in the process of dealing with these friggin scumbags!!!!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If they ask for an address or card #, I generally tell them “would it be easier if I just gave you my SSN#? Let me know when you have a pen ready.” and then I just spout off random numbers.

deertracker

They begin asking for this info when they read the first 6 digits of my card number then ask for the personal information. Apparently the first 6 digits of your credit and debit card numbers are common numbers and are not unique in any way.

The first digits of your card identify the bank institution.
    DT

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Next time I’m gonna ask them to call me back on a landline and say I’m having a hard time hearing them.

I’ll give them the MN FBI headquarters main line to call me back on.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Thanks for the info passed along to the family

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I thought this was a political thread about the leaders around the capitols in D.C. & St. Paul. grin

jwellsy

I make it a game to get them to hang up on me. The surest way to get the AI robo calls to hang up is to tell them your recording the call. Sometimes you have to repeat it a couple of times. But, AI absolutely hates to be recorded. Sometimes it’ll say NO!!!, and I’ll say YES!!! I’m recording this call. Bam, they hang up.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I thought this was the Mn sports thread

The_Bladepuller
    South end

When I have received this type of a call I say “Thanks, I’ll now follow up by calling the card issuer.” I do and have not had a problem.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I thought this was a political thread about the leaders around the capitols in D.C. & St. Paul. grin

I leave those for you. How come you haven’t posted any new topics in a while?

10klakes

Always a good reminder. They are getting sneakier every day. flame

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Hang up and call the number listed on your bank card, that way you know who your are talking to.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.