Fox River Depere Walleye Report- New PB

• Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

my good friend dan and i just finished up our fox river walleye marathon where we fished 35 hours straight. we fished from 3 on friday afternoon until 1 o’clock sunday morning. lets just say it was a long time in the boat but it was also a good time.

we started off casting plasitcs in the shallow flats but didnt get anything there. so we resorted to vertical jigging the channel and caught about 6 fish up to 24 inchs. then we went up to the dam to cast cranks well we only ended up with 1 24 incher and couple missed fish and then we went and picked my dad up since he had to work.

we went back up to the dam and fished the rest of the night until about 8 on saturday morning. we didnt start catching fish until about 2:30 saturday morning. from that point on we caught fish pretty regularly on firetiger crankbaits and you had to banging the cranks off the rocks or you were not going to get bit. a little while later my dad got a really nice 27 incher that was dropping her eggs in the boat. then 5 minutes later i hooked into a tank walleye. as soon as it hit i knew it was going to be a big fish and it took about 10 minutes to get in. it turned out to be a 30 incher and we guessed it was around 12 pounds or bigger. we continued to catch a bunch of smaller 18-21 inch males throughout the rest of the morning.

we fished the rest of the day saturday. casting the flats and vertical jigging the channel again. we caught a few 22 inch females on the flats but nothing fast and furious. we used either a jig/minnow or jig/moxie. we then went back up to the dam saturday night to cast cranks again and try to get dan a big fish. we didnt start catching fish until dark set in. then started catching 18-20 inch males with some bigger 24 inch females mixed in and all on flicker shads in firetiger, lemon-lime or black/gold. we got another 20 fish or so with the biggest being 24 1/2. we ended up with about 60 fish between 3 guys.

it was a great trip. overall a lot slower than past years but it was all worth it. we ea lot of fun but also very tiring but very well worth it. cant wait to get back next year and get another pig.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Awesome job guys… how was the boat traffic? What was the water temp?

powereyes
    Elk River, MN

Wow, that is a tanker! Way to go.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

Quote:

Awesome job guys… how was the boat traffic? What was the water temp?

The boat traffic wasnt terrible maybe 75 boats when we got there friday and 100 saturday. water temp was 44 to 45. the big girl was still full but was a little soft and we had numerous other females leaving eggs in the boat and most males were spewing too.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Nice Work We drove over the river yesterday and there were a lot of boats on the water. There were a lot of boats in the road for that matter. It was like the first 70 degree day in a college town, except I wasn’t getting slapped in the back of the head for looking

putt2winn
    Eau Claire, WI

You guys did good by getting off at 1am Sunday morning. We put the boat (black Tracker 21dc) in at 12am Sat. night with most people coming off the water as we where putting in..REALLY bad weather most the night. Between lighting and constant rain by 5am their was just two of us left besides the die hards on shore. That being said, the worse the weather the better the bite. At one point early am, we where the only boat out. On the Fox that is unreal. Did well, hell of a night. Congrats on the tank.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Impressive fish, and even more impressive marathon trip! You earner that one – way to go!

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

Looks like you had a great trip, thanks for the report

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Great Job and GREAT report !!!

Way to stick it out,,,that’s a long time in the boat !!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Congrats on a very nice pig!

That’s a long time in a boat.
    You definitely earned that fish
    and all the others as well.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Wow, those are some nice fish. and quite the marathon to boot….oh, to be young again.

sandmannd

That’s a great report. Congrats on the PB!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

35 hours that’s my idea of a day and a half of fishing

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

35 hours that’s my idea of a day and a half of fishing

Are you sure that’s not a half day for you???

Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.