Found a brand new way to make a boat unfishable

• ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

TLDR on the bottom

So, I have a small jon boat that I don’t use that often but I purchased years ago for fishing rivers and small waters. Brought it up to a buddy’s cabin to try on his river.

Well, I’m a total wuss when it comes to driving a boat on a river so I was pretty nervous that I would wreck my prop, run a ground, flip it on a dead head, you know, your typical river disaster.

No, that would be too obvious. Too easy. I don’t roll that way.

Well, I ran over three miles as the crow flies up the river (my buddy says probably eight river miles), really without much of a hitch. Bumped a log or something in an area I slowed down in but that was it.

I was pretty pleased with how far I got so I stopped and figured I would fish my way back. I make my way to the front of the boat; I have a bow mount trolling motor on this rig. There was a little water in the boat from when I launched it and when moving forward, it ran up to the front of the boat with me.

Well, I notice some green algae looking stuff in the water, I think to myself, that’s weird, I don’t remember seeing any algae in the boat at all before, maybe it was under the bench seats and the water washed it up…but no…hey…that’s not algae, that’s 2-CYCLE OIL…oh CRAP!!!

I look in the back of the boat to see my quart of oil completely upside down with the cap off…son of a…I jump to grab it and too late, it is completely empty…oh NO…this didn’t really happen…this couldn’t of happened?

Of course I’m rocking the boat like a mad man splashing all of the oily water to and fro, back and forth, doing a great job of lubing up the entire thing. Now slipping and sliding all over as I try to get everything off the bottom of the boat. My brand new fishing backpack tackle box. My boat tie downs, my life jacket, anchor rope, rods…in the process I’m sliding around trying to keep from doing the splits in my Crocs (they are awfully slippery when lubed up). All the while, knocking things back into the slimy mess I created only to spread the oil all over.

It’s hard to describe the horror that is when you recreate the wreck of the Exxon Valdez in your little aluminium jon boat but trust me, never again will I ever put a bottle of 2 cycle oil within 50 feet of that damn boat and if someone unwittingly walks by my boat with one, well, I feel really bad for that poor SOB.

So, at this point any hope of wetting a line was gone and I had to try to figure out a way of cleaning this thing out in the water because launching the boat into the river was no easy task since we slid it in on 2x12s from the shortest mud bank we could find. I won’t go into detail on that but it basically involved a few buckets of oil dry and a half a day of hell. Thankfully I had plenty alcohol. And after all of that, it still took me several hours at home to get it into decent shape to put it away.

Never again, PLEASE lord, never again!

TLDR
    Dumped a quart of oil in the bottom of my jon boat, horror ensues.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As long as you didn’t pull the plug where the mess got into the river it’s a funny story and a good read. grin Toss a bit of sand in the bottom the first time it goes out again, it will help with any missed spots traction wise.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL. That’s funny. )

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

As long as you didn’t pull the plug where the mess got into the river.

No, didn’t do that.

Lot’s of oil dry, hand broom, dust pan and a bucket…

Dan
    Southeast MN

Sorry for the misfortune! However, your descriptive and humorous writing style makes it look like you could have a future writing a weekly column for some publication if you keep writing like this! That was really fun to read (again, sorry it had to be at your expense!)

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Well, unfortunately I have a lot of practice describing these kinds of experiences…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I carry a spare quart with me at all times but the cover is wrapped with electrical tape to hopefully ensure THAT doesn’t happen to me!

I’m guessing that didn’t make you feel any better. )

munchy
    NULL

For me all my oils and additives stay in the boat but I have an empty battery box that everything sits in, in the bow. Just make sure there are no holes that will leak.

If I didn’t keep the oils in the boat they would be sitting on the bench at home whenever I try and fill up.

deertracker

I carry a spare quart with me at all times but the cover is wrapped with electrical tape to hopefully ensure THAT doesn’t happen to me!

I’m guessing that didn’t make you feel any better. )

I’m surprised that you didn’t point out that his life jacket wouldn’t have had oil on it if he was wearing it. smirk
    DT

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

…..because launching the boat into the river was no easy task since we slid it in on 2x12s from the shortest mud bank we could find.

Been a long time since I did something like that. waytogo

-J.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ottomatica wrote:</div>
    …..because launching the boat into the river was no easy task since we slid it in on 2x12s from the shortest mud bank we could find.

Been a long time since I did something like that.  :waytogo:

-J.

Brings back memories! waytogo
    I had a 14ft. small lake v….kept it on the car….motors and etc. in the back…2 guys just carried where we wanted to launch…..mine didn’t even have a drain plug!

Great story…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m surprised that you didn’t point out that his life jacket wouldn’t have had oil on it if he was wearing it.

Seriously? It crossed my mind. whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Otto – At least you had the right person there to help you.
    Al Cohol! rotflol

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Here’s a stupid question. Why was the cap off the oil ? doah

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Here’s a stupid question. Why was the cap off the oil ? doah

Don’t you need to apply a coating to those metal boats in the fall to prevent corrosion? grin

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Sorry to hear about the misadventure Ottomatica. We’ve all had a few your not unique.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Tipped over two gas cans in the trunk of my Buick spilling ten gallons. I’d probably rather have something like that happen again before I’d want that oil mess IN MY BOAT!! Yikes

Good story, I laughed a bit, then a sturgeon bit while typing and lost him half way to the boat son of a

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Otto – At least you had the right person there to help you.
    Al Cohol! rotflol

Al’s always there for me…

Here’s a stupid question. Why was the cap off the oil ?

I can’t quite figure out what happened there. I must have stepped on the bottle but it really didn’t look like it. I couldn’t be dumb enough to leave an open bottle of oil in the bottom of a boat could I??? Don’t answer that…

then a sturgeon bit while typing and lost him half way to the boat son of a

Looks like you’re learning from me…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.