? for handgun Carry people here

• Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KPE wrote:</div>
    but more and more I carry the FN with the dot. It all really depends on what I’m wearing. Sometimes it’s an lcp with gutter sights in my pocket.

Which FN do you have? My son wants to get the FN 57.

ruger is making a 57 now also that looks like a nice unit

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Curious of how many here who often carry a handgun, Now have a Red dot sight on them. Also curious how many here carry a full size handgun or a compact sized one? I’m thinking of picking up a new handgun and trying to decide if I want to go the full size or the compact route. Also trying to decide if I want to go with a red dot sight or not. If you want, feel free to share what your current carry gun is and why you chose it.

I carry a Springfield XDS 9mm with a laser. I’d carry a larger frame weapon but as a fat man, it is uncomfortable to carry all but compact frame handguns concealed.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8129.jpeg

CaptainMusky

I had never even heard of them until he told me about it. He claims that secret service people use the 57 because it will go through bullet proof glass, but I have no idea if that is true. Watched a lot of videos and that caliber is very intriguing for sure.

Coletrain27

I had never even heard of them until he told me about it. He claims that secret service people use the 57 because it will go through bullet proof glass, but I have no idea if that is true. Watched a lot of videos and that caliber is very intriguing for sure.

its a wicked round. not very practical though if you plan on shooting much though with the price of the ammo

CaptainMusky

its a wicked round. not very practical though if you plan on shooting much though with the price of the ammo

Yeah that is what I have seen. I have a buddy that has one and he offered to let my son shoot it but it just never happened.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I have the 509C tactical, with a tlr-1 and Deltapoint pro, all in tactical peanut butter color. It’s certainly the best looking gun I own.

I’m now looking at both the 510 (I handload 10mm) and the reflex to fill additional roles in my stable.

I’m a big fan of FN but I personally don’t care for the five seven. Ammo is expensive, and the whole unit feels and looks like a keltec. I think Smith and Ruger both do 5.7 better than the original FN. But that’s just my opinion, as always, buy what you’ll shoot and shoot what you buy!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I carry a Springfield XDS 9mm

I remember when these first hit the market. At that time they had a rather large share of the handgun market. The sporting goods store I worked at would get them in large quantities and just could not keep them in stock. It seemed like we had a waiting list for them for a long time. Its a handgun you don’t seem to hear about much anymore.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I remember when these first hit the market. At that time they had a rather large share of the handgun market. The sporting goods store I worked at would get them in large quantities and just could not keep them in stock. It seemed like we had a waiting list for them for a long time. Its a handgun you don’t seem to hear about much anymore.

Interesting. I wonder why. I’m a larger fellow at 6’2″, 280#. It fits my hand nicely, fairly accurate at “self-defense” ranges and most importantly……..is comfortable to CC (for me).

Reef W

A bunch of people/shops turned on Springfield Armory because of something about donating to an Illinois group that donated to anti-gun politicians or something? I don’t remember the deal exactly but sure you can find stuff about it.

The guns haven’t changed and all the hype they used to have is still valid imo. I already have an XD45 and a 9mm XDS mod2 so I’m not getting another but it would be some kind of XD if I was.

Riverrat

The springfield XD is a Croatian licensed gun, so its made in Croatia by another manufacturer and sold under the Springfield name. They become popular when they have good rebates with free mags and ammo and sit on the shelf getting scratched up the rest of the time. At the shop I worked at they still had some of the same XDs from initial release that wouldn’t sell until the price went down to 200$. Seemed like a fine gun though I shot one on a range day but that was about it.

Reef W

Seemed like a fine gun though I shot one on a range day but that was about it.

I stand by that they’re as good as Glocks and didn’t get the inspiration for their ergonomics from a 2×4 like one lol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

thanks for the tips on the shield. yeah i agree it probably comes down to my holster and possibly placement. admittedly i didnt test out a bunch of options, just read a few reviews and went with a reasonably priced one that people recommended. whats a good method to try out different holsters? do gun ranges have some options for you to try out?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

thanks for the tips on the shield. yeah i agree it probably comes down to my holster and possibly placement. admittedly i didnt test out a bunch of options, just read a few reviews and went with a reasonably priced one that people recommended. whats a good method to try out different holsters? do gun ranges have some options for you to try out?

Step 1) Find a box
    Step 2) Label box “Holsters”
    Step 3) Buy holsters until you find one that works the way you need it to.
    Step 4) Place all other holsters in previously mentioned box.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Step 1) Find a box
    Step 4) Place all other holsters in previously mentioned box

Sad but true. rotflol

Crappie the place I know of that has the most to in stock is Total Defense in Ramsey. Not sure if they would allow you to open up and try a bunch but they might. They are knowledgeable so could point you in the right direction.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I run a ITW by Desantis for my P365xl and while at work it is in my desk drawer, but it is fairly comfy to wear. Sitting in the truck for a long ride nothing really is.

Reef W

I think hybrids (leather back, kydex shell) are the most comfortable for IWB but even if you could find one for your gun to try they take awhile for the leather to break in. Ones that are well known for being good though are Hidden Hybrid and Crossbreed Supertuck if you just wanted to try one. Also the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck is one with a neoprene backing instead of leather, haven’t tried that one myself though.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Sad but true.

Crappie the place I know of that has the most to in stock is Total Defense in Ramsey. Not sure if they would allow you to open up and try a bunch but they might. They are knowledgeable so could point you in the right direction.

thanks ill check them out. Ive been to Stock & Barrel in Chanhassen a few times to shoot. I might go talk to them too

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Step 1) Find a box
    Step 4) Place all other holsters in previously mentioned box.

was hoping to avoid that method but i can understand if thats the main way lol. Thanks

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

whats a good method to try out different holsters? do gun ranges have some options for you to try out?

I tried a few different ones and if I did not like them I simply returned them. There are some gun stores and shooting stores that are now custom making them right inhouse. I know the firing line gun range here in Sartell does that. The Urban Carry leather lock one that I ended up settling on is a leather one, but has a retention devise built into it a lot like those found on Kydex models. They are built to fit the exact model gun that you have. The retention is adjustable which is nice. I’m sure lots of people like theirs at different levels. The holster did get softer and better the more I used it. Like others said they get better after having time to break in. Finding the correct holster that works is a real PITA for sure.

Riverrat

As a former sporting good salesman, I can just ask please don’t pull your gun out and check to see if it fits the holster. Most gun shops have your model gun unloaded behind the counter and will come out from behind and show you the holsters and how the gun fits.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Don’t look past the CZ P10C. I’ve been shooting a lot of handguns recently and doing research as I’m looking to purchase my first carry handgun, and I shoot this the best and it’s the most comfortable for me. It’s also one of the cheaper options, and has better trigger, and features than Glock. I love shooting Glocks, and I thought I would be going with a Glock 19 until I found the P10C.

Just another option to look at. I’m planning on purchasing it soon.

The P10c is a great gun, I have two of them, one without the optics cut and one with.

Since you have both the sig p365 macro and the p10c would you care to share your thoughts on both of them. These are 2 of the guns on my short list. I was leaning towards the sig but after talking with several rather knowledgeable firearm guys I’m kind of rethinking it. I have plans to hopefully go test shoot both of them next Tuesday. Tactical advantage herein Saint Cloud has a great deal on Tuesdays for those over 55. 1/2 price lane time and 1/2 rental. For around 25.00 I can shoot as many of the 9mm as they have on the rental shelf and that’s a ton. They currently have about 6 of them with various red dots on them. Great way to check out several of the guns I’m interested in as well as various red dots.

R Petersen

If I cycle a live round in ? Bang in Self Defense.

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.