Food plot productivity report 2020 deer season.

• castle-rock-clown

This was our first season after installing food plots. My nephew got a nice 8 pointer, just outside the ears during bow season, and a pretty large 8 pointer during gun. My other nephew saw a tall but skinny 5 pointer and passed. I didn’t see any antlers, but did get a nice Tom turkey. We all saw several does and this year offspring wit almost a 50/50 blend of nubbins to does. Overall a great success, the most tantalizing was a big 10 pointer caught on rare occasion, middle of thee night, on trail cams. We all passed on the baldies.

We were way over grazed and I planted my brassicas a month too late. Next year we will double in size two of our 4 plots expanding them with clover.

We learned a lot this year and have winter time to plan our attack for next year.

Attachments:
    1. D77DD90E-0795-4604-AC9A-23A9AD63EF9E.jpeg

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Sounds like you did pretty darn good considering this is your first year. I’m in the same boat as you. We started a micro plot couple years ago in the middle of our 40 and just planted clover for a few years. Last year, we increased the size a bit to about an acre and planted turnips end of July. That was too late in my opinion, plus the rain was relentless after planting. Our end result was “ok” considering. The problem obviously with a small plot is that I we run out of food about now. I just got this pic today which tells me they are digging up the turnips because the tops were pretty much crushed end of October, first week of November. It’s definitely a learning adventure, but it’s so rewarding to see it work!

Attachments:
    1. F224A1C1-8631-4396-BDE7-6B10B9E117FD.jpeg

2. A08AC0E7-567B-498C-B8F9-02312B621A2F.jpeg

3. D0E41BB9-43A8-4EE3-B185-78172A2E3E58.jpeg

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Our plots turned out pretty good, we just need more bedding cover. We also had some issues with the planter not getting them at the right depth or dropping at all, pretty sure we have that fixed. Our biggest expense is fertilizer, where can you get a deal on that gold.

Attachments:
    1. 20201127_142452.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We had an almost ideal growing season at the Midwest Monster Home Farm. Mild weather and very little frost depth led to our earliest and easiest spring planting dates. Soybean growth was off the charts for both Real World and Eagle Forage Soybeans.

Brassicas and fall crops did very well, although I think we were a little dry in the late summer and that had a small impact on overall brassicas size. The deer were still eating brassicas last weekend, so the crop is lasting well.

I am constantly amazed at how much clover deer eat. I have over 5 acres of clover and every leaf of it gets eaten to the dirt by late October. If you consider the summer growth, that means the deer are essentially eating 10-12 acres of clover per year.

And I just really enjoy it! Whether or not it translates to big bucks or not, it’s really rewarding.

A couple of notes:

1. The #1 issue customers tell me about with brassicas in the northern tier states is that they are planting too late and not maximizing size potential. Most “planting charts” have dates that are WAY too late for as far north as we are in most of MN, WI, and the Dakotas. Anywhere from about Rochester and north, you need to be in as early as June 21 and no later than July 4. After that, you’re giving away too much growing time.

And yes, July 4th is an average date. I’m trying to help guys be consistent. I fully realize in some years you could go later, but the AVERAGE year favors the guy who plants on/before July 4

2. Fertilizer requirements for brassicas to achieve maximum size potential are significant. I use 100 pounds per acre of 20-20-20 at planting. When plants are 6-8 inches high, I top dress with 100 to 125 pounds of 64-0-0 (aka Urea). Do not spread urea on wet plants!

If plants yellow in August, add additional 50 pounds per acre of urea.

Observe and adjust above rates accordingly for your soil and conditions.

Grouse

deertracker

We had an almost ideal growing season at the Midwest Monster Home Farm

Shut it Grouse. hah You know how my growing season went. Needed hip boots too plant my plots this year. flame
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:
    Almost the entire midwest and country really had an almost ideal growing season. Except for a tiny area in northwestern MN where it rained constantly as if the almighty himself was angered by one individual for his lack of clean living and for spending too much time on the Devil’s own playthings like motorcycles and boats.

Shut it Grouse. hah You know how my growing season went. Needed hip boots too plant my plots this year. flame
    DT

There. I fixed it.

Try not to take it personally. I mean, it probably happens all the time that some places get like 27 inches of rain where across the road the neighbors get about an inch.

Grouse

Angler II

We had an almost ideal growing season at the Midwest Monster Home Farm. Mild weather and very little frost depth led to our earliest and easiest spring planting dates. Soybean growth was off the charts for both Real World and Eagle Forage Soybeans.

Brassicas and fall crops did very well, although I think we were a little dry in the late summer and that had a small impact on overall brassicas size. The deer were still eating brassicas last weekend, so the crop is lasting well.

I am constantly amazed at how much clover deer eat. I have over 5 acres of clover and every leaf of it gets eaten to the dirt by late October. If you consider the summer growth, that means the deer are essentially eating 10-12 acres of clover per year.

And I just really enjoy it! Whether or not it translates to big bucks or not, it’s really rewarding.

A couple of notes:

1. The #1 issue customers tell me about with brassicas in the northern tier states is that they are planting too late and not maximizing size potential. Most “planting charts” have dates that are WAY too late for as far north as we are in most of MN, WI, and the Dakotas. Anywhere from about Rochester and north, you need to be in as early as June 21 and no later than July 4. After that, you’re giving away too much growing time.

And yes, July 4th is an average date. I’m trying to help guys be consistent. I fully realize in some years you could go later, but the AVERAGE year favors the guy who plants on/before July 4

2. Fertilizer requirements for brassicas to achieve maximum size potential are significant. I use 100 pounds per acre of 20-20-20 at planting. When plants are 6-8 inches high, I top dress with 100 to 125 pounds of 64-0-0 (aka Urea). Do not spread urea on wet plants!

If plants yellow in August, add additional 50 pounds per acre of urea.

Observe and adjust above rates accordingly for your soil and conditions.

Grouse

I’m also amazed by how much deer eat clover. It is, by far, the most desired thing by deer year round. We’ve had deer feed it in the middle of winter (if there’s any left at that time.

The best part is, it’s almost maintenance free!

Grouse, what type of clover blend do you plant?

I own property in the hinckley area as well…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Grouse, what type of clover blend do you plant?

I think all the top food plotters here in the northern tier have now switched to either Mega Clover Plus or AlfalfaMAX from Midwest Monster Whitetail Products.

Of course, I own Midwest Monster Whitetail Products, so…

But the key here in the northern states is ALL perennial clover varieties. A lot of the clover blends you see advertised on TV are from the south and contain mostly annual clovers. Avoid!

Grouse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.