Follow Contour

• getchasumv6

I recently installed a new Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra I-pilot link and linked it with the Humminbird Helix 10 G2N Mega. I’m having a little learning curve with the follow the contour feature in fresh water. I do have the lake masters chip version 2.0 installed.

What’s going on is when I scroll out to the contour line and hit the “Go to” button I’m NOT getting the option to follow the contour. It wants to mark as a way point and pilot the boat to that spot. I do have the option foot control hooked up and have yet to try unhooking but it doesn’t seem that would be causing the problem.
    Can you help me figure out what I’m missing and why I’m not get the option on the Helix unit to follow the contour?

Dave maze
    Isanti

I’m not sure if it’s different on my onix unit but I have to cancel navigation after hitting my goto button if I have autopilot on. If I cancel nav I have to hit goto again. Then the menu has the follow contour option.

getchasumv6

Still in search of the problem. I’ve double check all above and still no dice. When I scroll over to a contour line and hit the “Go To” button I’m not get a prompt to follow the contour. It prompts me if I want to GO To that location as a waypoint. $4400 in both these unit and this has become very frustration. I called Humminbird today and after a 55 min wait to speak to them, it seemed like the tech just wants to lay the problem off on the Minn Kota Unit and the possibility of it not being the latest software. Both units are not a moth old yet….

David Blais

Do you have the correct chip selected? Remote turned on? Cord is plugged into the motor and the unit? Your unit should display auto pilot on when everything is connected and turned on.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I seem to recall that you need at least a version 4.0 chip to use that feature

getchasumv6

For the Mid Atlantic area I’m in, the lake master 2.0 is the latest chip.

This evening I plan to go test again. I’m going to start over with setting up heading sensor. I may even call Minn Kota today and get their thoughts.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Had the same issue with my Onix. Did a little rtfm and one of the pre-requisites was related to the water offset for depth. If that wasn’t set then the follow the contour option will not show in the menu.

DTW

do you have the heading sensor turned on?

getchasumv6

So I went out recalibrated heading sensor…tried with heading sensor both off & on….tried water level off set still didn’t change anything. I’m at wits end.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Make sure you have the latest software version on your helix, I pilot and remote. Did you register them? Are you running more than one chart card? The card selected may be the non I link card.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Bit stumped too, let’s back up a bit. Is it confirmed that the iPilot at the TM is actively talking to the Helix?

Have you used the remote to do a spot lock? The cancel from the remote? If yes, does it show on the Helix screen for save/discard?

Have you tried the “Go to” feature that you see in the menu? If yes, does the boat start to go to the waypoint?

Either of these tests can confirm that the network is actively working and the two units are successfully talking. You’ve probably done this but I couldn’t confirm by the posts above.

Didn’t want to admit, the other thing I got wrong was forget to plug in the network cable to the graph. Always test connectivity before advanced features, says my old IT training. Too bad I have to relearn lessons the hard way.

getchasumv6

Well today I registered the unit….Update software on both the remote & controller. Fingers cross the next trip to the lake I see a follow the contour option.

patk. No Sir I have not tested all of the functions you mentioned. However when I went into the HB unit I could see that it was connected to the TM. When using the unit and I hit the “GO To” button, Yes I can get the TM to start navigation to that spot. I’m just not getting the prompt “option” to follow the contour. Next trip out I will verify all the functions you mentioned and post back.

Thank you guys for the help so far, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. Give me a few days and I’ll post back…..

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Yes I can get the TM to start navigation to that spot.

Yep, you’ve got connectivity. I’m about out of suggestions at this point. You’ve corrected both of the things I screwed up.

Good luck

Follow the contour will only work on HD maps from Lakemaster. I the lake is not Lakemaster HD follow the contour will not work.
    waytogo

prospector
    Wyoming

Auto chart maps work as well. Might make a map and give that a try.

getchasumv6

The lake I’ve been testing on is an HD Lake as noted on the LakeMasters website.

North Carolina – James

getchasumv6

I’m very excited to report that I finally have follow the contour option and it’s working properly.

Updating software on the link & the controller has me up and running.

Thanks everyone for the help. I know I was at wits end with the problem.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’m glad you’ve solved your problem and things are working properly.

Nothing worse than an expensive machine that isn’t doing what it is supposed to do. We can all get frustrated and short-circuit a bit when that happens, and it’s easy to bag on the company and their customer service in these situations.

It’s worth noting that the Humminbird tech you spoke with a week ago spent a bunch of time with you and provided the correct solution…

Ryan Van Guilder

So I’m also having this problem, but I don’t have a LakeMaster card? I do have a helix I pilot link and just don’t have the contour option. I have auto charted almost the whole lake and can select the contour but just gives me options to go to spot. I have gen3 helix and it’s connected control works and shows on helix. So just need to know if I have to buy LakeMaster or autochart zerolines? I don’t have them.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

The zero lines card just allows you to make unlimited amounts of autochart maps I believe. I’d start with Lakemaster

Ryan Van Guilder

I think I found the answer basically said that you need LakeMaster or auto chart zero lines. I’m going to start with that because LakeMaster doesn’t have the lakes I will be on small northern MN. To many lakes for them to be on all of them.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Note – no first hand on the latest question

If you want to follow the contours generated by Autoharting, I don’t see how adding a Lakemaster will help. Basically the data you want to follow won’t exist on a factory lakemaster chip.

Autochart data saved on a zero lines card I could see working. That said, has hbird confirmed you can’t use the autochart data saved on the head unit?

Ryan Van Guilder

So what came with the head unit does show contours but the option to follow contours does not. Looking at manuals I came across requirements and said it needs a card LakeMaster/autochart zero line. But we will see I ordered the card.

Attachments:
    1. FCB7CFEA-6685-47A9-A106-C889BFD91401.png

getchasumv6

I’m not certain about the G3 but my G2 I have to have the lake master card. It has some of the contours of my local lakes but not all. Good luck I remember when I was trying to get my unit up and running it was very frustrating for me, but after it had past…it was all worth it.

Ryan Van Guilder

Ok yes you can use the zero lines but you have to map out the contour yourself. It took about ten minutes after adding the micro sd zero lines card then follow the contour was available but only on parts of the map that I have created. Took me a few days to map the whole lake while fishing obviously today just finished the rest of the lake took about four hours but I’m set with depths at least for the year obviously the vegetation is always changing. I still need to play with creating a path/track and following it. But follow the contour is working great.

Freezer1

I just finished installing.
    I had to go goto network settings on Helix 9. Scroll over to GPS and switch to ipilot link. Problem solved. Well…I still have to get on the water. Not sure about Lakemaster card version but i bought mine within the last 4 months.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.