Flex Heater Problems

• Nodak

Searches for Flex Heater tend to only pull up Buddy Heater and Furnace. After filling a new propane tank, the Flex Heater put out a sour gas that was burning eyes. Had to turn it off for an hour and then restarted it. The sour gas wasn’t nearly as bad after that. Almost like the propane batch had trace amounts of H2S or something in it but it went away. The next day the Flex Heater went out after an hour of use. It would not relight at all unless it was put outside. But then the cold wind would blow it out. That night, I put the heater, hoses, and tank inside to dry out. The next day I cleaned out the pilot hole, blew out the lines with compressed air, and swapped propane tanks. The heater continued to go out after an hour and would not relight at all. Started cussing at it and bought a sunflower heater to finish the trip. Emailed Mr. Heater with and had no response. Maybe its an oxygen sensor? If so I have no idea what it looks like, where it is, or how to swap it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The oxygen sensor is the pilot flame, it goes out when oxygen is low causing the heater to go out. Oxygen sensors use a chemical reaction(Galvanic cells) to detect o2 and only have a shelf life of about a year once exposed to air after being opened, so we know there is none in a Mr Heater.
    Would it be nice if someone can come up with a ice fishing heater that works?

Nodak

Im out of guesses. The sunflower is still the most reliable apparently but I sure hate to lose my cooker and heater combo.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Get a sunflower on a stand that uses a hose to the propane tank. It’ll lay flat and you can put a frying pan right on it.

They were/ are the cooker/ heater combo from before it was cool to have both.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Get a sunflower on a stand that uses a hose to the propane tank. It’ll lay flat and you can put a frying pan right on it.

They were/ are the cooker/ heater combo from before it was cool to have both.

This is what we used growing up. Used to bring a pan along and fry up some summer sausage for lunch, pretty sure we have that somewhere still.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.