flathead rookie

• Jesse Thomas

First of all, thank you in advance to anyone will to help me out here.
    As of right now I have caught 1 flathead (about a five pounder) I’m on a mission to get into some bigger fish, 20+lbers. I’ve Been reading a lot and I believe I have a pretty good idea of equipment, tackle, tactics, and general areas to be fishing. Right now, it sounds like current breaks/seams, cut banks, log jams are a pretty good bet. That being said i spent last weekend on the ol’ croix without much to show and that’s the river I’m most familiar with but I would rather be somewhere less familiar with better odds of bigger fish. From what I gather that would be the MN.

If someone could confirm that I’m headed in the right direction that would be very appreciated. That’s all I really need, I think. However, as previously stated I am a rookie at this and any tips or tricks would be great!

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20190609_004701.jpg

MnPat1

Find an obstruction on the current break and fish right behind it. When the rivers are high like now creek mouths can be one of the few places to find a fishable current break.
    Use live bullheads and circle hooks. Release the fish after you catch one.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What are you using for bait?

Here’s a thought for you.
    Ditch the live bait.
    Catch sheephead.
    Use head, use body. Cut baits 4-6″ in size.
    I use 8/0 circle.
    Fish during the day.
    Stay in one spot no more than 20 minutes.
    You’ll catch big Flathead.

That’s been my program the past week. Working well.
    Picture is a 13.5#. the sheephead is 5″ long nose to cut.
    That’s about the smallest fish you’ll catch on that bait.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190609162948190-1.jpg

2. CameraZOOM-20190610184147910.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What are you using for bait?

Here’s a thought for you.
    Ditch the live bait.
    Catch sheephead.
    Use head, use body. Cut baits 4-6″ in size.
    I use 8/0 circle.
    Fish during the day.
    Stay in one spot no more than 20 minutes.
    You’ll catch big Flathead.

That’s been my program the past week. Working well.
    Picture in net is a 13.5#. the sheephead is 5″ long nose to cut.
    That’s about the smallest fish you’ll catch on that bait.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190609162948190-2.jpg

2. CameraZOOM-20190610184147910-1.jpg

Jesse Thomas

Thanks for the advice! For bait I’ve been using suckers and cut sheep was hoping to get some bullheads before tomorrow. Overall sounds like I’m on the right track as my program was similiar to yours only at night and my plan is to get out during the day tomorrow. Would you say I would be better off on the mn for #’s of good fish? I know there is big fish in all three of the rivers so just trying to increase my odds as much as possible for now. Any particular reason for the cut vs. Live?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yeah, cut is less $$
    Cut also works better during the day IMO.
    Cut is easier to aquire.
    I don’t enjoy fishing the late summer nights anymore.

I also find Flathead fishing less boring with cut. If you toss a BIG cut in front of a Flathead. Usually less than 5 minutes until you get bit. While that can hold true for live bait also, they’re less Hardy than an already dead cut and don’t tolerate being tossed several times very well.

I also have a buddy named Joe, who smacks the flatheads all summer long with sheephead heads. He doesn’t use the body. Though I don’t mind using the huge body section.

Regarding where to fish.
    Well, I’ve never pulled a 50# from the MN, but I have taken 3 from the Croix ;)

I think catching a Flathead on cut is just less daunting for the noob. But, there are way more than 1 way to fish them and I’m not suggesting otherwise. Just keep at it and READ all the information you can get your hands on.

There’s some good catfish books out there and they don’t necessarily need to be Flathead specific.

Jesse Thomas

Thanks for all the advice fishblood! What title would you say is in your opinion a for sure must read for a newbie?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Jesse, when I started flat fishing I went to the Mississippi River Catfish forum and read every post from 2001 or 2002 to present day.

There’s a ton of good info in the bowels of Ido.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS The forum was changed at some point to have this form and the Mississippi River forum became less active.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thanks for all the advice fishblood! What title would you say is in your opinion a for sure must read for a newbie?

Everything written by Brad Durick. That information applies to all species scales or no scales.

Doug strange life and times in catfish country

Channel catfish fever

Like bk mentioned…Depths of IDO.

Believe it or not, BK got me to join IDO because of the knowledge he provided years ago.

Google forums across the country.

Catfish conference on YouTube.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190615084832757.jpg

Jesse Thomas

Everything written by Brad Durick. That information applies to all species scales or no scales.

I ordered his books thanks for the advice!

Eric duffy

I agree. There are times when live bait shines, like calm water and under a big float. I’ve found the last 5or6years sheepies about 12-16inches long are my best bait. Cut the tail fin off, then riddle it with knife wounds and slashes. A 13/0 circle hook through the nostrils and I’m way better off. I’m ok not catching the little 25pounders and have no issue waiting an entire night or a couple for a true giant. If size is your main concern, go rediculously large and you’ll be amazed at how well it works.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.