Flat Tip Rods/Pics

• bee
    Maine

I got a couple this week. Has anyone else picked any up or tried one?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It looks like a regular guide tied on the end of the blank rather than having to glue a tip on. Common practice.

bee
    Maine

It looks like a regular guide tied on the end of the blank rather than having to glue a tip on. Common practice.

Its not tied on. It is made that way.

roger

Got mine last week. should work good for lite bites. nice rod but without hands on trail yet i think the meat stick is better.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

Its not tied on. It is made that way.

Yes they are made that way, Tom was saying that. Instead of saying wrapped Tom used the word tied.
    IMHO after building rods this is the wrong guide to use for wrapping on the tip. A better practice is using the pictured single foot fly guide as a wrapped tip. It offers much less weight and bulk on the thin sensitive tip.
    To see some rods built this way check out tuned up custom rods.

Attachments:
    1. fly-guides.jpeg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Wrapped, tied….same difference to this old dog.

I wrapped quite a few ice rods using two guides back to back to create the eye on top for the St.Croix type of spring bobber. I’m with Mark on the practice of over-sized guides as a tip-top being wrapped on.

Thanks for the clarification Mark!

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have a tuned up custom power noodle which I love. The meatstick if I’m not mistaken is jason mitchell right? think I have some of those but wish the guide holes were larger. Otherwise good option for the price.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have a tuned up custom power noodle which I love. The meatstick if I’m not mistaken is jason mitchell right? think I have some of those but wish the guide holes were larger. Otherwise good option for the price.

correct That the meatstick is a Jason Mitchell. I have both the 24″ and the 28″. Mixed feeling for me on the size of the guide holes.

If it’s warm or inside the shack the very small guides help with really small baits and light bights.

If it’s cold outside or using as a deadstick for walleyes, I wish the guides were larger. Tough for icing up and if using a bobber stop it gets hung up on the first guide. There’s another thread in here for TUCR deadstick that I’m following to get some feedback on these kinds of rods.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.