Flasher Upgrade

• Ryan

I have had a marcum lx3-tci for a few years and was looking at switching over to a vexilar. I was wondering what would be the upgrade to look at? The FL-18 seems like it would fit for all my perch and walleye fishing that’s done in less than 30 ft of water, but it doesn’t seem like a jump from my current unit. The flx-20 seems like a big jump so I was leaning to that unit or should I just got flx-28 and be done? I have fished with a friends vexilar but just basic fl-8. Looking for feedback from guys that made the switch or have some knowledge on this, do I switch or just stay put?

catmando
    wis

I have the same as you. plus an 18, and a 12, your lx3 is better than an 18 in my opinion, if you want to step up the lx6 is the ticket. DK

Nathan Lindall
    Eden Prairie, MN

Sounds like you’re set on a traditional flasher, but after switching to a hummingbird helix type unit I’d never go back. Just my opinion grin

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If you want to upgrade, look at the m5, flx 20, helix 5 or 7. What are you looking to improve with the upgrade that your current unit doesn’t do?

Tbone

I’ve had an fl8 fl20 and now a flx28. The 28 has some nice features but to be honest I never use them. The only reason I upgraded is because it’s a lot brighter and easier to see on sunny days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would shoot for a lx6 or 7. I know it’s not what you mentioned but they are very nice units

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

If you’re really looking for something with more features then the LX-3. I would go Helix or LX-7. The Helix has the GPS capabilities built right into the unitso that’s a big plus. With the LX-7 you get the movable zoom zones and the ability to change your display. In all honesty any of the digital units are real upgrades from the mechanical type flasher.

If you really want to splurge then go Panoptixs Livescopoe.

404 ERROR
    MN

Love my 28, wouldn’t trade it for anything. Got a Helix 5 also, and it’s really not very good at anything other than GPS. It’s a G1, though…G2 units are supposedly much, much better.

hnd

the 20 is basically an 18 with a larger screen. The flx28 is an upgrade over the lx3 somewhat but the proview ducer is a polarizing product that some are ok with but many hate. especially if you fish a lot of shallow water. I’d much rather have the dualbeam tech of the marcum.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have an 18 and it’s great for bottom related fish like perch and walleye, it leaves a little to be desired if you want to zoom on suspended fish like crappie though.

Ben
    Central MN

Love my LX-6, or go LX-7 if you prefer the larger screen. They do everything and the ability to customize display is great. So many options to tailor the screen to whatever fishing technique you’re using that particular day.

mike e

Got 5 days on the ice with my Helix 7 g2 and love it! The Fl20 is now a backup or for when I’m running 2 holes. The 2x,4x,6x,8x fully adjustable zoom is awesome. I’ve had suspended fish just out of range of the FL20 zoom a few times. Don’t even use flasher modes. I spend all my time on the split screen 2d sonar usually in 4x or 6x zoom on the left side of the screen.

It gets along just fine with the Fl20 also. Helix was perfect, 20 took one push of IR to clear up some very minimal interference.

The ONLY complaint I’ve had was cleared up by setting it to manual depth. Auto would sometimes jump around a foot hunting for it’s range. I think part of it was being outside and wind whipping the ducer float. The chirp ducer is very light and leaves much of the float out of the water.

If you were planning on only ice fishing with it, the Helix 5 would probably suffice. I’ve read some of the summer features will push the 7 inch screen.

yup go with a helix or garmin if you want an upgrade, you get the mapping and summer use as well

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I went from the FL18 to the new FL28. I have only logged 3 outings and 20 or so Hr’s on the new fl28 but so far I really like it. It much brighter, The auto range feature works excellent when hole hopping, I think the target separation is much better than the old 18 I had. I also own a Marcum LX-5. Id take the new FL28 over the Marcum LX-5 every time. I’m trying to decide if I keep the LX-5 or the FL18 for my backup unit right now. I’m leaning towards keeping the FL18. I was just never a Big fan of the LX5. I did just receive a new Transducer from Marcum for the LX5 so I’m waiting to try it with the new transducer to see if I like it better now than I did prior. Marcum said they were aware of some crap tranducers that they had used and were excellent about providing me with a new one. So I will say hat’s off to them for that.

Ryan

Yeah I am mostly just looking to see if the FL-18 would be an upgrade, my lx-3 tci works good but I always wonder if I should have went vexilar. I noticed the Lx-3 really doesn’t work well in shallower / weedy water, I’ve been told vexilar wont skip a beat there. I Have heard some of the vexilars Fl20 and 28 have better target ID and separation. I am not really looking for a summer / winter unit since I have something for my boat already.

By the sounds of it I wouldn’t be any further ahead with an FL-18, save my pennies for the FlX 20 or 28. Panoptix would be sweet but the price in CAD is crazy.

hnd

i find the marcum flashers outshine the vexilars in shallow water with structure/weeds. the vexilars don’t allow you to gain all the way down enough to clear the screen. you’ve got to lp mode it and even then still too much. i don’t think the 20 beats it in separation but the 28 does.

CaptainMusky

Once you go to a graph display you will never go back IMO. Go with an LX6, 7 or a Helix, or even a Lowrance unit. Using the graph mode you learn so much more about your presentation and how the fish react to it than a round dial.
    I have 2 “round dial” units (LX3TC, LX3TCI) and now an LX7 along with Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 Touch that I use on the ice. My go tos are always the graph displays.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

You could have a faulty transducer from the factory.

CaptainMusky

I have the lx3tci. I can never seem to get it working good. seems to always have a lot of interference and static. I can’t get it dialed in. I fish with a buddy who uses an m1. I would rather use the m1 than my lx3tci. could it possibly be that my ducer is on the fritz? Or is it user error?

Could be a bad ducer, weak battery or poor battery connection.
    How high do you have your gain set? Do you use IR? I have found that if fishing with someone else and one or both people have interference issues, ONLY ADJUST 1 of them at a time. Usually that will fix everything.
    Other things to try, keep the transducer just above the bottom of the ice.

marvins
    Kansas

If you like the instant on low hassle of a good mechanical flasher then the M5 is the best choice. Sharp tru-color, movable zoom, dual beam transducer. Your LX3 should not be lacking in shallow water performance, maybe a bad transducer. I still use an LX5 and have options of LX7,HDS5, FL22HD. Love my LX5.

SW Eyes

Tough to beat the Helix.

The GPS built in is great. Being able to transition from my boat to the ice is a game changer. I love being able to locate and autochart new hardwater spots in the summer.

The option for 2D sonar is also something that’s really grown on me. Being able to see the history of what your cadence, depth, etc were when the fish hit is wonderful information.

I was a Marcum guy, and still have my unit as a back up. Still love it. But, getting all of the options Hummingbird offers at that price tag is a no brainer for me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.