Flame King

• IceManBran

Is the refillable system all its hyped up to be? Any issues with filling or using these compared to the standard 1lb tanks on a buddy heater? Tips/tricks?

brandyman
    West central MN

It definitely is more messing around filling the little tanks, but it is slick. I have used both on little and big buddy heaters. Zero issues. I would get a couple of little tanks to keep full. Keep the empty little tanks in the freezer before filling, less pressure when colder just like when using ice fishing.

deertracker

Yes it is. I have 6 but want to add more. They fill super easy. I bought a filler off of Amazon for a lot cheaper.
    DT

Sylvanboat

I use three 1-lb FlameKing tanks. I have never used that many in one day so it is easy to refill each night. Once you get the hang of refilling, the process is pretty easy. Good luck.

James Almquist

I love mine and would never go back to filling the old way. As with any propane tanks just make sure to do a sniff test before lighting. My brother burned up his Buddy heater using a Flame King tank. Wanted to blame the tank but also neglected to smell to see if it was on tight. Another thing he was missing was a towel to smother the flames. Live and learn I guess.

Stanley

I have kit and I think 9 tanks. Super slick once you figure out the system and don’t have to keep the tanks in the freezer if using the flame king 1lb tanks. You can also refill partially empty tanks so you always have full tanks. Last time I was in Menards they have the fill kit for $45 and lots of 1lb tanks.

cheers

Works well for me, spare tanks can be hard to come by, maybe easier now

James Almquist

If you have a hard time finding the tanks all you need to do is order them on Menards website and select the store you want to pick them up at and they will email you when your order is ready. If they are in stock at your store it might be same day pickup.

CaptainMusky

I’m having a devil of a time filling some of my tanks may just give up on it.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Got ’em, love ’em, – get em!

So much easier than carrying a bunch of “I don’t know how full they are” cylinders. With full ones, you know what you have.

As far as freezing them, I just bleed them off. The remaining propane in them cools them right on the filler.

James Almquist

I’m having a devil of a time filling some of my tanks may just give up on it.

I have never had a problem with any of my Flame King tanks. Is everything tight and have you opened up the vent with the allen wrench ? Open the big tank and then open the valve to your little tank you are filling and then the vent. At this point you should hear the gas flowing into the small tank. Once the gas starts sputtering out of the little tank its time to close the vent and shut off the valve.

JoeMX1825
    MN

There was a big thread on Flame King tanks here last year (when they were hard to find) consensus was they were absolutely worth the investment..

Coletrain27

Just refilled up my 6 flame kings yesterday. Totally worth it to me. My local menards has had them in stock all summer

Tlazer

X2 on the Flame King bottles. Yes last times I was in Menard’s they had a bunch of them. I would buy several though if they have them. You may only need a tank or 2 for a day/weekend of fishing, but to me it would be a hassle to always set up just to top off a tank if you only have one or 2 tanks. Not hard to do(refill) but since you should do it outdoors most of us have to set up each time you refill. These tanks are easy to top off if you only use 1/2 of the tank on a trip, but always nice to know you have a full tank starting off.

CaptainMusky

I have never had a problem with any of my Flame King tanks. Is everything tight and have you opened up the vent with the allen wrench ? Open the big tank and then open the valve to your little tank you are filling and then the vent. At this point you should hear the gas flowing into the small tank. Once the gas starts sputtering out of the little tank its time to close the vent and shut off the valve.

Yeah something is off, I havent tried in quite a while since my 20# tank is empty, but I even contacted customer support explained my issue and they said the seal was bad and sent me new ones. I was able to fill 2 tanks, but the other 2 tanks I have never been able to fill so I know if I can get 2 to fill, then I obviously am doing it correctly.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Trouble filling? Dozens of YouTube videos on releasing air. Release thru the top, NOT the side one.

CaptainMusky

Trouble filling? Dozens of YouTube videos on releasing air. Release thru the top, NOT the side one.

??? Never heard of this before I will have to check it out.

3Rivers

been using them for 5 years now and I have had nothing but good things to say about them and also have a few videos up on YouTube showing the filling process and also replacing the seals. My 20lbers are only used as filling stations and even use my 1lbers on my grill too.

I have put 6 tanks that I keep brass caps on and when ice fishing I start with 2 fulls loaded up in the Big Buddy and then 4 more come with me in a cooler.

The only real downsides I’ve ran into is that eventually you will have to replace the seals and also when it’s really cold out the 1lbers don’t burn quite as well as a bigger tank does and will frost up and now flow as well.

It sure is nice knowing exactly how much propane you have on hand and not dealing with hose and filter issues.

CaptainMusky

Replacing those seals is not an easy task!

Gregg Gunter

FYI: Flame King makes heaters too. I saw them at Joe’s last year.

Coletrain27

What seals are you talking about?

CaptainMusky

There is a round o-ring seal with like a nylon spacer in the part that screws into the heater. That is what flame King had me replace when I went to them saying I couldnt get them to fill. They are a pain to get out. You cant really see the seal with the spacer in there.

3Rivers

FYI: Flame King makes heaters too. I saw them at Joe’s last year.

Run away as fast as you can from those heaters. Just sayin….

CaptainMusky

Really? I thought it was actually very easy.

Getting them back in was no issue, but getting the one out was a herculean effort.

Coletrain27

I guess I’ve never had a seal go bad on any of mine knock on wood. But it’s good to know about the seals being replaceable. Did you get the seals through flame king?

3Rivers

Here’s a video I did on the fix. If you refill a lot, after a few years you might have to replace a seal or two:

Tlazer

Good video. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.