What’s your best “really quick” chow?

• rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I find myself at the cabin by myself many times. Come meal time I am usually bushed from working or being on the water. I’d appreciate some ideas for quick, “throw together” meals…dogs get old…

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

breakfast burritos are awesome for camping if u have the tools. another good idea is set the crock pot on and put chilli or soup in there and then go fishing and when u come back it’s ready. that’s the best quick ideas i have hope it helps fill your sromach quick!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

While I worked on the road I used to throw together Zadderians (sp) rice, a 14oz can of maters, and a meat of choice, usally a sauage, and called it supper for 2 or 3 nights. It’s rather good!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ok..I’m pushing a sponsor…but their products are inexpensive, fast and easy.

When I get to Everts on Fridays I have 2 hours to get a nap in and one hour to get the boat ready for the evening. That leaves 1/2 hour to eat in.

As the pan is heating up, I mix 1 cup water with one cup of Apple Cinnamon Pancake mix. Whip and pour into the heated pan. A couple minutes later I have….

and time to wash the three dishes. I use a paper plate.

They are not heavy, but stick with me.

Check out all the flavors by clicking on the banner at the top of this forum. Ido members even get a $5.00 discount!

/End Shameless Advertisement

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Home made breakfast sausage or chorizo and scambled eggs on a burrito.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Grilled ham and cheese.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

Sounds funny, but tastes great:
    Ham and Peanut Butter on Toast.
    Try it. Very fast and very filling.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have a quesadilla (Sp?)maker. A couple of tortillas, some left over chicken/fish/steak and cheese, jalapenos, olives and 5 minutes…and you are eating like a king!! The cost about $20.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

First off I typed this all on my phone so bear with some grammer and spelling errors

I suppose it depends a little on your definition of quick. Do you mean toss together and cook or do you mean prepare something for dinner later, like pot roast total time prepping is like 15 minutes, and give it a couple hour cook time. We do a spagetti bake that can be made ahead of time and cooks quick, again prep time is around 15 min. Shish kabobs would be one of my go to quick meals, you can stick the meat and veggies any time, cooking time is minimal.

Lately I’ve been finding tenderlion for cheap, cubing that up and marinating that for the grill later, grill up some asperagus or corn, whatever. Heck sometime I grab some buns and mix up a little bernaise, after I grill, I put the meat on the buns, top with a little bernaise and it’s outstanding.

Kind of on a monte cristo kick too, though I opt for a pan fried (french toast like) option versus the batter dipped and deep fried option.

Raw uncooked shrimp, thawed, tossed with some Old Bay seasoning, tossed into hot skillet and add 6 ounces or so of beer, and cooked until done.

I do a double panfried noodle too, buy some fresh noodles (usually in the produce isle) toss in a pan with a tbsp or two of oil, and get a little crunch on them pull them off, toss vegi’s/meat in pan cook until almost done, add noodles back in, and add oyster sauce to taste (around 1-2 tbsp) Thats under 15. Some people are scared of oyster sauce, but if you’ve had chinese you’ve had it, it’s pretty awesome stuff, and doesn’t taste funny in anyway. (my wife will eat it, and shes rather picky)

Ramen with an egg mixed into it, egg drop soup style.

Fajita’s, I buy some fajita seasoning (cub foods ethnic isle) some meat, cut peppers and onion, grill meat toss into a tortilla, little pico de gallo, guacamole, lettuce, sour cream, what ever you like, super fast and a nice change.

I also make Chicken ala Lena, (my personaly recipe, named for my wife)I take ground corriander, some adobe seasoning, and a little cayenne (just barely enough to notice a little spice kick, but not spicy, my 2-3 yo kids eat it too), pound boneless skinless breast out flat season, grill til 95% done, and then I glaze it with some french dressing on it and watch it careful, burns fast.

Night before get some bone in (key IMHO) chicken, put in a zip lock with a lemon or 2 of juice, some fresh garlic, usually we just crush 3-5 bulbs of garlic, a fresh or dried rosemary maybe 2 tsp or so, some pepper, 1/2 cup (give or take) olive oil. Let that sit overnight, flip the bag and make sure everything gets mixed around, really it needs around 24 hours or so so really get some of the flavors, it doesnt work or taste as good if you dont have near a full day of mairinating time, grill med high heat. Sometimes we pick the chicken apart and eat it on a tortilla, sometimes on a pita with some lettuce and a little ranch dressing.

I don’t have a recipe for say with these, I’ve cooked enough to know to always season me food with salt and pepper, and to taste, but I can give you ball park measurements if you want them.

We also go to farmer’s markets on occasion, so I didnt really include a lot of veggies in these ideas, usually buy whats good and fresh and add that into the dinner, sometimes salads, sometimes steamed veggies, sometime grilled, and sometimes raw with some ranch/dill dip. In other words we rarely plan a veggie, ahead of shopping.

These are all minimal prep and cooking time is minimal (pot roast still takes 4 hours or so, but hey set it and forget it.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

do a double or tripple batch of burger and taco seasoning and onion, cool and put into a container. Buy a bag already shredded lettuce, 2 cans sliced black olives, sour cream, shreded cheese x2, small jar of nacho jalepenos, salsa, and dice up a few tomatoes. Grab a pack of soft tortillas and a bag of tortilla chips and a bag of corn chips. Night one, soft shell tacos, night 2, nachos, night three taco salad, just throw in a can of light kidney beans to the meat as you are heating it up, you can make a real simple dressing with sour cream and taco sauce. Almost everything is done ahead of time, very few dishes, and all the above meals go well with a side dish of beer! What more does one need?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I can of sour kraut in a sauce pan, 1 keilbassa sausage, Medium heat 8 minutes. Make sure you are not too close to anyone the day after especially someone who also ate this.

three cans of beer, one onion 6 brats or italian sausages, boil beer onion and sausages for 10 minutes or longer, grill 3-4 minutes each side, back into the beer at low temp. serve on bun. Can put the whole thing into the fridge after it cools and tastes great on day two or three or four just heated up.

My favorite, leave wife at cabin, tell her to cook supper come home eat.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

My favorite, leave wife at cabin, tell her to cook supper come home eat.

Gotta admit Wisker, that is the best suggestion yet

Thanks for the ideas guys, I’m gonna try a few this fall as I will be having to prep meals myself quite often…and am not patient in the kitchen when I can be doing something else – like puttin’ the smack on some eyes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.