Chicken Chili

• john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been making chili for the last several years and really got into it over the winter. I started making chicken chili and found out I like it just as much as beef chili, especially when I need a little variety. I love putting this stuff in a thermos and eating on the water.

This is a very forgiving recipe that can easily be adjusted to suit your tastes. I like to double this recipe and freeze single portions in foodsaver bags. This is a single large batch that will serve at least 6.

~3# chicken (breasts are easiest, but you could certainly use other pieces)

16 oz. dry beans (black or pinto work well – canned beans work fine, too)

3-4 jalapeno or other hot peppers (adjust to taste). Two small cans of nacho jalapenos (not drained) will work, too.

2 poblano peppers (or one green pepper if you really hate spice)

2 medium yellow onions

1 can of green giant extra sweet corn, drained

4 cups of chicken broth (1 box or two 16oz. cans)

Olive Oil

About 3 tablespoons of cumin, or a packet of fajita seasoning

2 packets of Goya Sazon spice mix (available in mexican food section)*

*Note that you can adjust or substitute spices according to taste and availability … think Mexican and chili spices. Chili powder, Tabasco, etc. work great. Cumin, whether in a Mexican seasoning mix or alone, is very important.

Put the raw beans (after rinsing) in a large pot with about 8 cups of water. If you’re using canned beans, you can skip this step. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Continue boiling for about 5 minutes. Turn the burner off and let the beans sit in the hot water for 60-90 minutes.

Cube the chicken into 1″ cubes or smaller. Cook them up in a large frying pan or stock pot with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Mix one of the Sazon packets in with the chicken before they’re done cooking. Set the chicken aside.

Chop up the peppers and onions. I like to put in big chunks of the poblano peppers (which are really mild) and then dice the jalapenos into small pieces. You may choose to saute them with a little olive oil prior to putting in the chili, but I don’t bother anymore as it doesn’t really make a difference (unless you don’t want to simmer the chili very long).

Drain the beans once they’re done cooking (i.e. once they’re soft and loose the “green” flavor). If you’re using canned beans (you’ll need two or three cans), rinse them first. Then dump everything in a large pot (or crock pot). Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. If you’re using a crock pot just put it on high and let it sit for an hour or two. Salt to taste and you’re good to go.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds good. I printed it off to try.

Got any rock solid red chili recipes?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’ll get a red chili recipe up soon. The problem is that I’ve been making it without a recipe for the last year or so and don’t write down the quantities what I put in. I can tell you that I like a lot of peppers, and I also think that a ltitle baker’s cocoa and a small can of baked beans are great “secret ingredients”.

I just ate my last frozen bag of red chili on Tuesday so I’m due to make some soon. I think I had a half dozen habaneros in there in addition to the other peppers and I felt it for at least a day or so. It was some good stuff!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.