Brining and plastics

• Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

I plan on making some beer can chicken soon and ran across this article on brining and plastics. Thought I would share. A point to mention – your utility buckets from the home centers are not food grade plastic and should not be used.

-Boogs

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

blackbay

Quote:

I plan on making some beer can chicken soon and ran across this article on brining and plastics. Thought I would share. A point to mention – your utility buckets from the home centers are not food grade plastic and should not be used.

-Boogs

I’m also leery of heating beer cans lined with with bisphenol-A and covered in paint. I’d like to find something else to pour the beer into.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

-Boogs

Hit up a cafeteria in a school, nursing home, or similar place and ask for any food buckets. I have some that are 3 gallon pickle buckets that work perfectly. Not big enough to do a turkey, but big enough for a chicken.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

-Boogs

Hit up a cafeteria in a school, nursing home, or similar place and ask for any food buckets. I have some that are 3 gallon pickle buckets that work perfectly. Not big enough to do a turkey, but big enough for a chicken.

BBKK
    IA

Oh and most 5 gallon buckets are HDPE since they are used for chemicals. As long as you wash them out, salt water won’t do anything to them.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Research the science of beer can chickens and you’ll probably come to the same conclusion as I: Not worth it…

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

I have heard that mason jars can sub for the can.

robby
    Quad Cities

Why Not Use A Campbells Soup.Can?

buck-slayer

how can anyone not like beer can chicken it even makes the white meat taste good

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Snoop around and you can find some 2 gallon zip-lock bags. Put the meat and brine in the bag, seal it and set it in a bucket. Need to turn the meat? just shift it while in the bag.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

not sure if its food grade, but I do use a small cooler. After I’m done I wash out and use a bleach cleaner. I have also been putting a palm full of lemon and orange zest into my brine. I also love beer can chicken, it’s pretty hard to mess up.

KP
    Hudson, WI

You can buy beer can chicken holders online or try cabelas or gander. I found a nice beer can chicken holder that is all metal at cabelas. Love me some beer can chicken!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

On the chicken holders….find a ceramic or pottery one with a rimmed base so you can pour beer into it for baking.

You can also use an aluminum bunt cake pan or an angle food pan.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If you know of anyone who works in a restaurant, they’ll probably be able to give you 5-gallon buckets that pickles come in. I may or may not occasionally rely on an unnamed IDO member for 5-gallon buckets.

If those aren’t brine-safe, we’re all screwed!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

If your after large capacity (7 gallons) food grade buckets check at a home beer brewing shop. Two good ones in Minneapolis– Midwest supplies and northern brewer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.