3 gallons, 10 quarts

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Late yesterday I picked my three rows of beans and ended up with 3 gallons or more. After pulling about a pound out to go with supper last night, the rest got blanched and bagged for the freezer. Of course while I was picking beans I noticed that the raspberries were getting heavy so this morning I spent a couple hours in that patch.

The berries have been washed and bagged for the freezer except enough to have as an evening snack and I held back enough for a batch of Raspberry/Jalepeno jam….maybe jelly.
    I have some new hot peppers that might go into the jam instead of the Jalepenos….somewhat hotter and less pepper taste. Are you reading this BK?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You’re picking beans already? Wow! Mine aren’t even close.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

My beans (SE WI) are getting close. Can you tell me about the “blanched and bagged” method for freezing? First year with a small garden, so all new at it.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

My garden was looking great until the farmer sprayed his beans on Saturday. I don’t think my muskmelon are going to make it…

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I picked the beans yesterday and will have to pick again tomorrow.

Here’s the jam/jelly recipe:

you’ll need the berries of course and hot peppers, plus sugar and the liquid pectin. I use Certo in the pouches.

You simply follow the recipe directions found inside the Certo carton. Trust me, you need to be exact. Do NOT try doubling the batches….you won’t like doing things over a second time and you will have to.

before you start the process, chop up you hot peppers very fine. If you want heat, leave the seeds, or at least a few, in the chopped pepper. Once the sugar and berries have begun to dissolve the sugar, add the peppers as wanted. I hold down the heat on the stove so I can do a couple tastes to determine just how hot things are getting. Once you have enough zap to the jam/jelly you just cook as directed in the Certo instructions.

Choke Cherries make another great sweet/hot jelly that goes well with the cream cheese and crackers. If you want something super intense in flavor, go pick a bucket of black caps and use the raspberry jam recipe in the certo and add the hot peppers to that.

Black cap jam is very pointed in the berry flavor and some heat just sets things off, but the berries are not a real good one for jelly. The black caps and their juice don’t handle a lot of heat and jams cooks faster than jelly.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

You’re picking beans already? Wow! Mine aren’t even close.

Same here. Still just flowers.

ekruger01

my kids been eating a handful of beans a day for a week and a half now. im betting were getting a half gallon a day.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ll be picking the beans again in a few minutes.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I lied. 2-3 inches. Should be picking some by next week. Cant wait for creamed wax beans.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

With the heat and rain coming at ideal times, the Raspberries are going hog wild this year. The berries are huge. And I’ve been in the kitchen doing goodies made from Raspberries.

This morning I mad 8 – 8 ounce jars of Raspberry jelly. Clear, red, and full of flavor. I also whipped up 8 – 8ounce jars of Raspberry jam with jalepeno peppers for the lady of the house who likes to put this over a big chunk of cream cheese and spread the two on crackers as a snack. Then I made up a 3 pint batch of Raspberry syrup…..for those who haven’t had fresh Raspberry syrup poured over a stack of pancakes, you are truely missing something.

After looking at the garden this morning early I see that the beans need plucking again and I’ll do that later today when the sun gets behind trees and I won’t cook while picking. The Raspberries….will need picking again tomorrow. Then its Raspberry BBQ sauce time.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I usually put just I bread bag filled with blanched green beans in the freezer for winter. the rest gets canned/pickled. included is dill, garlic, onions and thia chili peppers, can use jalepeno’s and your basic pickle canning reciepe!!!

and tom, we need to talk about your little sunfish snide!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Like that, eh, Glenn?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yep!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.