Looking for a Smallmouth Recipe

• redneck
    Rosemount

You cook it just like 50 pound flathead cheeks

BBKK
    IA

Fillet side off. Fillet the skin off. Take the rib cages out. Cut the fillet in small 2″ chunks. Place on an 8/0 Team Catfish hook. Sit back and wait.

Jake_A

Soak in milk after filleting for 24 hours, then shore lunch. Tastes just fine granted I don’t keep too many of them. But they sure do help a LOT when your on a float trip and walleyes aren’t hitting. And that was your food plan

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Fillet side off. Fillet the skin off. Take the rib cages out. Cut the fillet in small 2″ chunks. Place on an 8/0 Team Catfish hook. Sit back and wait.

THAT’s the one I was looking for!!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Here are a couple family recipes passed down generations in the Anderson household!

led “Cornhusker” Smallmouth

2 ears corn on the cob, (bread ‘n’ butter corn is best)

2 lb smallmouth filets, 4 pieces

4 tbsp unsalted stick butter in small, thick pats

3 tbsp lemon juice

Salt to taste

Black peppercorns, ground as used

1 medium lemon (cut into wedges)

Get that charcoal grill hot and ready to go!.Peel the corn, being very cautious to keep the husks intact. Set these aside. Remove ALL silk from the corn.Shuck the corn by standing the cob vertically and running a sharp knife down the length of the cob. The corn kernels will come off easily. Throw out the cobs.

Count out three husks per smallmouth filet, and flatten. On the husk, drizzle a light layer of the shucked corn.

Place a smallmouth filet at right angles to the husks (opposite direction the husk is running), atop each one.

Divide the rest of the corn among the filets. Punctuate the corn with pats of butter.

Drizzle lemon juice on the smallmouth filets; season to taste with table salt and ground black peppercorns. You can find peppermills at the grocery store.

Carefully fold the cornhusks around the fish, forming an “envelope”. Secure with wooden tooth picks, like you would a tamale.Place on the hot grill for 5 to 7 minutes.

Flip it over, being careful NOT to break it or spill the contents. Cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. The husks will be kind of burnt looking now.

Serve as soon as they come off the grill, and garnish with lemon wedges.

——————————————————

Smallmouth from the Bayou

2 smallmouth bass filets, large ones!

1/2 teaspoon Lawry’s Cajun spice

1 Orange

Tiger sauce (a brand of hot sauce that bites HARD!)

2 teaspoons stick butter

Lay out the fish and dust with Cajun spice.

Take two slices off of the orange. Juice the rest of the orange onto the smallmouth filets evenly.

On top of each filet, drop three (3) small dollops of the Tiger hot sauce.

Put the fish on the hot grill. Baste the filets with melted butter while they cook. The filets should NOT be turned during cooking.

After about 18 minutes (maybe 20), you will have some of the hottest, spiciest, tastiest Smallmouth you have EVER had! Fish will be flaky and moist. Be careful! It has teeth!

Add the two orange slices as garnish.Serving suggestion:Cajun wild rice, fresh okra, and a fine, cold can of beer to top it off with. Enjoy!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Looking for a Smallmouth Recipe

And here I always thought of you as more of a Largemouth …. O

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I know it is like unheard of to eat bass…. somehow I fell into that same mentality. This said… twice I have. Once when I deep hooked a large mouth early in the season. Cooked it up in the deep fryer with some other pan fish… it wasn’t this deadly, mushy, terrible, life threatening experience I had come to expect. Actually… it was as good as anything.

That, and on a small lake by my friend’s cabin they are encouraged to take small bass out as it is so over populated and stunted – and they cook up really well, and sure are way too easy to catch.

At times when looking for a dinner, there’s something to the argument for taking a couple of the green carp (sorry) out and leaving other species in the lake.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

before I clicked on the your post I said”uh oh this guys gonna get an earful”
    I needed that..now it’s off to work

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What is the best harness to use and what size weight would you use to keep them on the bottom?

briansmude

Cut fillets small enough to put inside of musky, wrap in foil put on grill.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Find a nice cedar board. Liberally spread with butter. Drizzle some honey and then sprinkle lemon juice on it. Salt and pepper to taste. Add bass fillet, bake in a 325 degree oven for 25 minutes. Carefully remove bass, discard and eat the board. It goes down easier if you have melted butter to dip it in.

No seriously, I fillet my bass and then split it right down the middle, then cut crosswise into about 1 1/2 inch chunks. I leave them soak in water in the fridge for 24 hours and then freeze or cook as follows.Shake them in a bag with Fryin Magic and deep fry at 350 for about 3 minutes. The bass I catch through the ice are very good this way.

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

I just thought someone was going to get chewed out! That was hilarious. Cracked me up when I saw .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Fyi…Jesse gave me money to make this post. C

PS all the emailed bass recipes can stop now. I’ve got them, thank you.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

out of Canadian water I would say “yes”

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I don’t care much for smallmouth bass, they taste the same as eagle to me.

BBKK
    IA

Minnow inside a bluegill, inside a smallie, inside a northern, inside a musky. Guaranteed to taste like… something.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

You guys don’t salt+pepper + fry the hearts and eat them on toothpicks up there?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

You guys don’t salt+pepper + fry the hearts and eat them on toothpicks up there?

Bacon wrapped on Club crackers are to die for!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I kept a large mouth once. Dad told me they weren’t any good to eat but I had to try it. About a half pounder. Never kept one again.

Then I sent him a photo of a smallie I caught and he asked why I released it. I told him that they taste bad. He replied with “not smallies, they have a sweet taste.”

Maybe this isn’t the right time to bring this post back up(?)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It’s not so much the type of fish as the condition of the water. I cant imagine a bass or any other kind of fish tasting bad this time of year. Except those dang muddy river walleye’s! Right James!!

BBKK
    IA

I still suggest the 8/0… but I have to say I did try one last year. Swallowed the hook while lindy rigging and it did not survive. I cleaned it and it tasted no different than any other white meat fish (crappie, bluegill, walleye, largemouth, etc).

This was in the fall, I will not keep any bass when the water is above 65. If I get a DAL (dead after landing) I give it away to someone who will use it. Same with pike. But that is not due to a bad taste, just due to a bad texture in the meat.

IMO the guys who say they don’t taste good are going into it with the preconception that bass don’t taste good.. placebo effect. My buddy was the same way until I fed hims some that I said was chunked walleye. The next day I asked him if he had ever kept a bass, he told me how they taste awful. I asked him how the one he ate last night tasted and that shut him up for a while. He doesn’t think bass taste bad anymore.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

And here I always thought of you as more of a Largemouth …. O

…rrr

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Clean up on isle #3 rrr.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.