Chili Recipes ?

• Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Looking at taking my 1st shot at making some homemade chili instead of Hormel chili. I did some internet searching and did’nt find anything that I thought “WOW I want to make that chili” so I’m turning to the IDO network. Let’s have some of your good med-hot chili recipes. I’m not looking to burn my face off but I do like a little bit of heat to my chili. Thanks in advance

blufloyd

1st timer? onion sweetpepper bit of garlic, 2 lbs meat venison rocks, and a carrol shelby chili box. Throw the masa pack away. Beans? Bush reds and dark kidneys. No ugly chili beans. And rinse them. Diced tomatoes and Low sodium V8 or your frozen maters from summer. Celery parsley and misc other stuff will come along as you grow into it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I always thought the extra toppings saved a lot of so so chili recipes. Fresh chopped onions and Jalapenos, chedder cheese, sour cream, corn bread, ect. And a beer.

blufloyd

PS just put the giant pot of venison and too many beans chili on stove to heat. It’ll get me thru the cold snap.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Simple one that I use:

2 cans of 14oz chili beans…
    2 cans of 14oz stewed tomatoes…
    2 tablespoons of chili powder…
    Mix with 1.25-1.50 lbs of cooked venison or beef burger…

Easy and simple but it really does taste good! RR

sikeo22
    SW, Wisconsin

Start with a big slow cooker because you can’t make too much, it freezes well in Ziploc. I use tomato puree as the base; couple big cans then a big can of tomato paste. I use tomato sauce and paste after that to get the thickness I like. I use whole and diced tomatoes together, light red kidney beans and plenty of chili powder otherwise its just tomato soup. Add chili powder stir and taste, keep doing that until it has the flavor you like. For heat use black pepper and sliced jalapeno. I add tablespoons of the jalapeno juice until the heats right. Brown your onions and ground beef together. I leave my beef in good size chunks for texture. I think the puree has made a big improvement in mine over the years. Have fun and good eating!

broman

Just made a pot last night.

1 lb ground beef turkey, or venison

½ cup chopped onion

1 medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped

3 medium-size green or red tomatoes (1 lb), chopped

2 tsp chili powder, or to taste

1 tsp cumin powder

1/4 tsp ground red pepper

1 tsp garlic salt

1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans undrained

1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans undrained

1 can (15 oz) black beans undrained

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste

1 can (6 oz) water

Crumble meat into a large pot and cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 1 hour.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

season how u like Jesse but replace the burger with a chuck roast. Slow roast all day then cut 2 bite size chunks…..that’s it, I’m making pot

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Make one-day ahead of time, refrigerate, and re-heat. Flavor is better.

handful bacon ends or a few slices chopped bacon
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 medium onions, finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 tablespoon smoked paprika
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2-3 lbs meat – get creative – I like to double the recipie and add 1lb Venison and a 3lb chuck roast like Jensen said!
    1 cup beer – darker the better
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice

Start in a dutch oven like all good recipes by rendering fat from bacon and using it to cook the veggies! Add spices to bloom flavor, then remove and add meat. Brown slightly, no need to cook through. Deglaze with beer, add beans, tomatoes and re-add veggie/spice ingredients. Simmer for a little less than two hours.

Enjoy!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Cast iron dutch oven

1 1/2# Ground beef

2 smoked venison sausages if you can get some.

Cap full of liquid smoke if no venison.

1 can of hunts tomato sauce

1 cans off diced tomatoes

1 can of whole stewed tomatoes

2 cans of Joan of Arc spicy chili beans

2 onion diced

2 green pepper diced

how ever many sereno peppers you want

how ever many pickeeled pepperaconi peppers helps give a tang

Tabasco sauce to taste. Not to much just to add a bit more heat and add to the tang to much gets a bit vinegary.

2 tablespoons cumin

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon Cheyenne pepper

2 tablespoons tones granulated garlic and herb

2 tablespoons of granulated onion

pepper flakes

salt

pepper

Brown the beef at t

add spices and pepper flakes salt pepper, I feel the spices must bloom from the heat to reach full potential for flavor and heat also helps as a thickener.

After beef is browned and spices are bloomed (Looks like a gravy/ paste and hamburger mixture) remove beef from pot

Sautee’ half the onions and half the peppers till soft and translucent

Add browned beef to onions and peppers stir in a bit more salt and pepper

Add tomato sauce then beans(beans have gravy with them) water to thin out a bit add tabasco

Add tomatoes

Add raw onions and pepper and the pepperaconies

Salt to taste

add liquid smoke if no smoked venison.

bring to boil turn down to simmer cook till raw onions and peppers are tender

Done!

Eat!!

Like said raw onion cheese raw ppers are great as toppings for another texture.

From here you have a base to work from have fun and eat well!!

shockers
    Rochester

Jesse…all these recipes look great and are similiar to mine. Do you have a favorite salsa (preferably homemade) you like? Cuz one thing I’ve done to supplement the tomatoes etc. you usually add is add a jar or two of my favorite salsa. Spices it up (in addition to the other stuff) and gives it good flavor. Good luck.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Thanks everyone.

Joel and Riverweed those are the kinds of recipes I was after, they both sound delicious and I can’t wait to try and make them.

Shockers I like the salsa idea. My favorite is pace picante

smoke grub

let me also add chile spices from either the Spice house,or Penzsyes ..I personally use the Chile con Carne.. which is similar to Coney Island Chile.. but they have numerous chile powders.. if you buy from the Spice house, the Chile powder is usually less then a month old, as oppose to buying Chile powder at a big box store.. which probably was packed about 2 years ago.. and that’s a true estimate.. we use Joan of Arc Dark beans instead of light chile beans.. I would try a few of those and see what you like the best.. if you want a “sweeter ” chile, add corn.. white corn especially .. but your choice of powder, really makes a major difference.. trust me on this one.. I just got back from a run to Milwaukee for family business, but before I went to my Ma’s house, we went to the spice house first.. its on 3rd street in the Third ward.. but they take orders over the phone and have a website..

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Will’s Wonderful 5 bean & Pinapple Venison Crockpot Chili

1.5-2 lbs cubed whole meat venison
    1 red bell pepper
    1 orange bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    3 Jalapenos
    1 Red Chile
    1 can tomato paste
    1 can chili beans undrained
    1 can garbanzo beans drained
    1 can black eyed peas drained
    1 can of butter beans drained
    1 can black beans drained
    1 can chunk pinapple drained

Add in 1/4 habenero or 1 tsp cayene pepper if you really want to bring the heat

Add beans, venison, and cut up peppers into crock pot starting with 3 tablespoons of chili powder and 2 tablespoons of cumin and cook on low for 10-12 hrs. I stir as often as possible and continue to add additional chili powder/cumin until it just tastes right.

Once you’ve got the groceries this whole recipe takes less than 1/2 hr to prepare. These ammounts will exactly fill a standard sized crockpot.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

instead of tomato sauce I will use Zing Zang bloody mary mix, also way heavy on chili powder, like 1/4 cup and also I will get the heat through pablano peppers. Just burn the outside and stick into a ziplock to losen the skin, deseed and coursly chop. If you really want to make a dutch oven of chili special, cook it over a grill with the lid slightly open and put a chunk of apple wood on the charcoal, stir enough to keep from burning. Also roasting poblanos over the coals and apple wood sure makes average chili go over the top. Done 2 international chili society santioned chili cook offs, didn’t do too well, but sure learned a lot. The proir posting about quality of spices is spot on.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Outstanding thread Guys! You have it covered well…sweet peppers and celery/onion were made for chili!!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I will be keeping this thread in my favorites. Last night I made Joels recipe and added a few things from some of the other recipes. I did’nt have any venison so it was a combo of burger and steak tips for meat, added cayenne pepper, 1 jalapeno and some other misc. spices when I cooked the meat. I got it all together at about 8pm which left cooking and eating last night out of the question so I threw it in the crock pot for the night and brought some for my lunch today. I’ll let you know how it turned out after lunch

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Well it turned out pretty danged good. I went a little heavy on some spices and not heavy enough on others. The heat level is about perfect, just hot enough to almost break a sweat but not quite. Thanks again for all the help y’all

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Outstanding thread Guys! You have it covered well…sweet peppers and celery/onion were made for chili!!

OOps, I forgot the celery!!

Jessie you got the chili bug now welcome to the club.

One thing about chili makin experimenting new ways is all good.

bigpike

This recipe won $20,000 at a chili cook off thus the name – $20,000 Chili. It is one of my favorites but is not a conventional chili. It is very meaty. Almost like a Cincinnati style chili, which I also love. No celery or beans in this chili, give it a try you will not be disappointed.

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    1 pound lean ground pork
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 can (12 ounce size) beer
    8 ounces tomato sauce
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons cumin
    2 tablespoons beef-flavor instant bouillon
    2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
    1 teaspoon flour
    1 teaspoon cornmeal
    1 tablespoon warm water

DIRECTIONS:

In large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown half the meat; pour off fat. Remove meat. Brown remaining meat; pour off all fat except 2 tablespoons. Add onion, garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add meat and remaining ingredients except flour, cornmeal and warm water. Mix well. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer covered 2 hours.

Stir together flour and cornmeal; add warm water. Mix well. Stir into chili mixture. Cook covered 20 minutes longer. Serve hot.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

This recipe won $20,000 at a chili cook off thus the name – $20,000 Chili. It is one of my favorites but is not a conventional chili. It is very meaty. Almost like a Cincinnati style chili, which I also love. No celery or beans in this chili, give it a try you will not be disappointed.

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

1 pound lean ground pork

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 can (12 ounce size) beer

8 ounces tomato sauce

1 cup water

2 tablespoons cumin

2 tablespoons beef-flavor instant bouillon

2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves

2 teaspoons paprika

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste

1 teaspoon flour

1 teaspoon cornmeal

1 tablespoon warm water

DIRECTIONS:

In large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown half the meat; pour off fat. Remove meat. Brown remaining meat; pour off all fat except 2 tablespoons. Add onion, garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add meat and remaining ingredients except flour, cornmeal and warm water. Mix well. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer covered 2 hours.

Stir together flour and cornmeal; add warm water. Mix well. Stir into chili mixture. Cook covered 20 minutes longer. Serve hot.

Only a 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce and no jalapeno or cayenne pepper….seems a bit mild for $20,000

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Jesse I believe it does say “to taste”

I hope that you never get to the point that you have to say no to the hot flavors that you love!

Cause then you will bend a way over just to apease Mr. H!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.