want to impress your fam with dinner?

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

The wife was in the mood for crab legs last night and my daughter likes them, so thinking outside the box, I thought I’d try my hand at a crab boil. While I am not a culinary expert, I can hold my own in the kitchen and this was something that anybody can easily put together pretty easily and gain fame among your family.

Start by filling a large stock pot about 1/3 full of water seasoned with old bay (I didn’t measure, but it was about 1/4 of the smaller tin). Toss in a lemon cut in half, a bulbs worth of peeled garlic gloves and pound of small baby reds. Let that boil for about 10 minutes. Add Kielbasa cut into 2 inch chunks and shucked corn on the cob broken in half. turn the heat down to a simmer and let that go for another 10 minutes and finally throw in a couple pounds of crab legs. Appx. 12 minutes later I drained the water, lined the kitchen table with butcher paper (waxy side down) over newspaper and dumped it out in the middle. sprinkled some more old bay seasoning around the giant pile of food and served with melted butter and some freshly baked garlic and herb dinner rolls tossed about the table.. I realize this thread is worthless without a picture, but my appetite was larger than the desire to fool with a camera, but it was nothing shy of epic and it was a lot of fun for the family too.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I applaude you, sir.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Since I can’t get the FW into sea food…let me know when you’re doing this again…I’ll bring the camera.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Also good with some sweet corn on the cobb in there too. We do this once a year or so and a couple of white tipped baitfish find their way in there too.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

sounds like something one would experience at Joes (Joe-Mama) Crab Shack.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Those are fun to do. I just use a disposable table cloth with the newspaper. Baby reds, shrimp, and crawfish usually find their way into it as well. If you don’t like the oldbay stuff floating around on the food, you can buy packets that you can throw in the water. All the flavor…none of the mess.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

or the oil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.