fishing with Salamanders! “waterdogs”

• shefland
    Walker

Anyone else remember this bait? Long ago, I think early 70’s I stopped by Marv Koeps shop in Nisswa, a must stop and go to for all fisherman Al Lindner had just came off of gull lake, I think memorial day weekend with a stringer full of huge walleyes, I mean 8 to 10 pounders and was taking stringer shots out in front, all caught on waterdogs as they were called. Many articles written about them, I bought some all I caught were pike, but they were the big thing, but for a short while. Still see that photo pop up once in while

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Anyone else remember this bait? Long ago, I think early 70’s I stopped by Marv Koeps shop in Nisswa, a must stop and go to for all fisherman Al Lindner had just came off of gull lake, I think memorial day weekend with a stringer full of huge walleyes, I mean 8 to 10 pounders and was taking stringer shots out in front, all caught on waterdogs as they were called. Many articles written about them, I bought some all I caught were pike, but they were the big thing, but for a short while. Still see that photo pop up once in while

Just a FYI; The bait mentioned above, is no longer legal to use.

Attachments:
    1. MN-BAIT.jpg

shefland
    Walker

well that explains it then, illegal. I remember they were really active on your hook, you would have to bring them up for air every 15 minutes or so and they would take a big gulp of air, didn’t care for that

Buffalo Fishhead

I remember back in the late 1970’s early 1980’s tournament bass anglers, especially those in Arizona, were willing to pay a premium price for mudpuppies.

I have not heard much about the demand for them for a long time, maybe because they are now illegal to use in most places??

Buffalo Fishhead

AK Guy

I use to buy waterdogs from Marv and Schultes Greenfish bait in the 70’s-80’s. I never caught a walleye on them but sure caught a lot of bass. I use to get mad when a bass the same size as the waterdog would grab the bait and kill it. Waterdogs were expensive compared to everything else.

jwellsy

I think I only saw them for sale once. Never did try em.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thus is funny.the kid and I were out riding in the sandy field the other day and found 6 salamanders and a few skinks, reminded me of being young we used to always find them when building bike jumps.
    I know this is more mud puppy related but good timing on the thread.

slough

Caught about a 19″ walleye a month ago that had a whole salamander in its belly. Had heard they’ll eat them but that was a first.

LabDaddy1

Caught about a 19″ <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye a month ago that had a whole salamander in its belly. Had heard they’ll eat them but that was a first.

A mudpuppy or the type you find under rocks and stumps on land? How big was it?

slough

Your normal salamander you see on land. Was barely digested so very distinguishable. Probably 5″ long or so.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.