Fishing with a Drone-Uncut Angling

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

IMO By far the most entertaining guy out there!

404 ERROR
    MN

That’s an awesome video. Metigoshe has some of the biggest panfish I have ever seen! Truly an amazing fishery.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I haven’t watched this one but Uncut’s use of a drone is, in my opinion, one factor that sets their videos apart from the rest of the pack. The videos on Little Limestone lake and then Palouse Falls have some seriously great drone footage!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

As entertaining as always!

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Will this be the next big thing? Start selling your plainer boards for some drones.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Watched that yesterday, he is very entertaining, by far my favorite fishing videos.

The purple phase gills are something special!!

zooks

Uncut’s use of a drone is, in my opinion, one factor that sets their videos apart from the rest of the pack. The videos on Little Limestone lake and then Palouse Falls have some seriously great drone footage!

Couldn’t agree more and you’re spot on about the footage in those episodes, it was stunning to say the least.

I really enjoy Aaron and Jay and watch their videos ASAP after they post.

munchy
    NULL

Saw that the other day. Never thought a drone could lift something that heavy. Great video and awesome concept for the show in general, I also really enjoy the drone work. He could easily be given his own television show, but IMO the show would lose something doing that.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Love their show, love the comedy in it! plus he knows his stuff! The video of him searching for and finding the sunken boat for crappies is awesome!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Would love to see him and James do a show together!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Ok that was pretty freaking cool!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

WOW! Drone Fishing! I can see that catching on

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why can’t every lake have gills like that!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Why can’t every lake have gills like that!

Well according to the testing done by the 5 state area it’s because the big fish have been harvested, so the small ones don’t need to get any bigger to spawn. Their whole goal in life is to spawn, so once they’re the biggest fish around they use their energy for spawning and not growing. That’s why we get stunted sunfish. The MN DNR is the last group I know of to finally admit this is the cause to our stunted sunfish issue.

Uncut does an awesome job with their footage. His videos are top notch. Keep it up! waytogo

Attachments:
    1. SD-State-Bluegill-Stunting.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Never thought of that. If that’s true, then there is no hope. SAD!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That come out of The Onion or what? That’s hilarious stuff right there. jester

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

That come out of The Onion or what? That’s hilarious stuff right there. jester

Do some research, this is what South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin have been saying for years. Now recently I saw the MN DNR did a piece stating the same thing.

nhamm, could we hear your scientific theory then if you don’t believe the others that have dedicated years and millions of dollars to this topic?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

This is from the MN DNR

Many fish managers are beginning to believe that overfishing — not stunting — is the reason some lakes do not produce the big bluegill they once did. In such cases, growth rates are normal and food is plentiful, but anglers simply catch and remove all the good-sized fish, leaving behind the smaller bluegill, which multiply without the controlling influence of the large fish.
    If this is true, the solution seems to be more straightforward: more big sunfish must be left in the lake if people are going to continue to enjoy catching them. Again, a diverse approach seems most promising. A few “trophy bluegill” lakes could be managed with a restricted harvest of big sunfish — perhaps even a catch-and-release requirement. Most lakes would continue to be managed with a liberal bag limit to provide panfish for the pan.

I think this is an awesome topic and I’d love to learn more. I only know what I read and I find it fascinating.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I was under the impression nhamm worked for the Onion

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I believe, and yes this is non scientific arm chair conjecture, that once a lake’s sunfish quality (sunfish bigger than 8″ a rare catch) has been in place for years, it’s over. There is no going back. Even if you took extreme measures like closing a lake for 10 years.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

This is from the MN DNR

Many fish managers are beginning to believe that overfishing — not stunting — is the reason some lakes do not produce the big bluegill they once did. In such cases, growth rates are normal and food is plentiful, but anglers simply catch and remove all the good-sized fish, leaving behind the smaller bluegill, which multiply without the controlling influence of the large fish.
    If this is true, the solution seems to be more straightforward: more big sunfish must be left in the lake if people are going to continue to enjoy catching them. Again, a diverse approach seems most promising. A few “trophy bluegill” lakes could be managed with a restricted harvest of big sunfish — perhaps even a catch-and-release requirement. Most lakes would continue to be managed with a liberal bag limit to provide <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish for the pan.

I think this is an awesome topic and I’d love to learn more. I only know what I read and I find it fascinating.

That makes complete sense. Thanks for sharing!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Looking at Google maps, there appear to be a lot of developed Lake Shore property. Granted it is away from a big population center, but I have a hard time believing that those people are not harvesting them bulls and sows in large numbers. Just a thought.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Joe, I apologize for my comment, I truly thought that was a joke article. When I get to a keyboard later I’ll let ya know why with my 4yrs of college eligibility left educated mind. tongue

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Looking at Google maps, there appear to be a lot of developed Lake Shore property. Granted it is away from a big population center, but I have a hard time believing that those people are not harvesting them bulls and sows in large numbers. Just a thought.

I agree, but a lake close to me comes to mind. Osakis is a large lake that gets a tremendous amount of fishing pressure, but continues to kick out huge bluegills.

All of the research I’ve read claims that the small sunfish issue is caused by premature maturity in the male sunfish (over active Gonads). This usually happens by the large males getting harvested to a very low level. This causes the small fish in the system to spawn because they’re now the biggest gills around. Once they start spawning they grow at a very decreased rate.

Now that you have young fish spawning you have a shorter cycle and more fish in the size bracket “qualified” to spawn. This causes the surge of small sunfish that is very hard to correct.

In the example of Osakis I think a relatively small portion of the lake gets fished, but more importantly the lake is full of forage. This makes for a balanced system where there are times where the fish simply will not bite. The combination of not needing to feed and enough water to hide IMO helps a lake keep some of it’s big male gills. If a lake can keep enough large sunfish the smaller gills will continue to grow instead of spawning. This causes the desired cycle of large sunfish!

If you told me this 10 years ago I would have probably laughed. Now I can’t stop reading about this because it’s very intriguing to me. Basically sunfish are a stand alone species when it comes to these tendencies. Walleye and crappie are completely different. Give a walleye or crappie food and time to grow and they will get bigger… simple! I wish Sunfish were this easy! If anyone finds more info on decreasing sunfish size please send it my way!

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Wow Joe, thank you for sharing. I never knew that. This should be its own thread. So how can we reverse this trend?

Ryan P
    Farmington

That was pretty cool, not sure I would risk a drone to do it though.

Charles

So speaking of MN DNR is this even legal to fish with a drone.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Well, That lake will soon be fished out. Identifying a lake with big fish is a sure fish way to see them disappear.

Just my two cents

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So speaking of MN DNR is this even legal to fish with a drone.

It’s legal if it’s not illegal.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.