Fishing in Florida first time

• Jensen

Heading to Marathon for a fishing trip in April for first time. Any suggestions on what to use or is it common to get seasick? Will be taking a guide first day and renting boat the next few days. Thanks for any help.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Jensen:

Try to stay in shore and fish some of those species… You might be able to lose the opportunity for seasickness and have a great day on the water.

Mark

JT

Wait until may and go for tarpon and snook inshore. Offshore you can get a good fight with a Goliath or trolling for Sails but if your planning to go in the spring stick to tarpon. Be warned. You’ll catch your first and no other fishing will matter back in the Midwest. Enjoy your time in Florida.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We did really well on Tarpon last April fishing near Marathon. Look up a guide named Mike Odell….he guides out of Hawks Cay.

It’s all about water temp and usually by early April the Tarpon should be near the bridges.

I wouldn’t mess with offshore.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Same here. I fished off shore once. And for the first time in my life got seasick. We couldn’t even stand up to fight the few fish we caught because it was so rough. There is plenty of flats fishing and more action there. I’ve done that 4 times and would do it again.

Jensen

Thanks guys the battle with a tarpon is on my bucket list. Hope the weather cooperates. Will 60lb fireline work for most species or do I need something stronger.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dramamine for Seasickness works for me. So does focusing on a fixed point on shore.

Jensen

Thanks EPG I hear peppermint helps to. Maybe whiskey 😂 will help too.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

30 lb line is all you will need 20-30 leader that will handle all inshore needs. we fish tarpon with the same just a heavier rod.

Steve Hale

I have gone a lot fishing by Fort Myers and it depends what you are fishing for.
    Dramamine works great get the chewables and pop two before you go and you will be fine. Don’t be to hungover!! that helps too.

Shark is easy and an awesome fight – – metal leaders needed
    grouper are great eaters and fun to catch
    snook,snapper, all fun to catch and easy if the weather is bad and to many waves you don’t have to go to far out for them.
    Trolling is awesome if you catch fish – – king fish, Cuda, tuna, they have it all but you can spend hours trolling and nothing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I used to find it amusing people got seasick in anything less than what guys like Deadliest Catch faced. That was until I got seasick. I was fine after about 30-45 minutes, however my one brother was sick the whole 8 hour trip.

sji

Never been out on a charter that at least one person didn’t get sick. Funny thing is last one was off the coast of Maui with 18 foot swells, two navy seals sicker than dogs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You’ll catch your first and no other fishing will matter back in the Midwest.

I can confirm this. My first encounter saltwater fishing was in Tampa in April 2016. We caught some decent snook and redfish. The redfish really pulled hard, harder than any freshwater fish. I went to Key West in March 2018 and caught barracuda, tarpon, and jack crevalle. The jack I tied into was almost 25 pounds and it took me almost half an hour to land it. The tarpon was a good fight too but it wasn’t a huge fish for the species, whereas the jack was.

There just isn’t a comparison in freshwater. I sometimes hear people say “oh the bull sunfish put up a good fight on ultralight gear” and I just think “you haven’t been saltwater fishing buddy.”

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

30 lb line is all you will need 20-30 leader that will handle all inshore needs. we fish tarpon with the same just a heavier rod.

If fishing specific for tarpon I’d go heavier….50# braid and equivalent or heavier leader. You can go lighter but they will wear a light leader down and break it.

I’d use that setup for jacks and then try and finesse a tarpon if I hooked into one.

I caught a handful of 20# class tarpon in Puerto Rico on 20# braid and 30# leader. That’s about all it could handle.

Spool a whole bunch of line on too…when they run they run and you can’t slow them down.

Jensen

Thanks for the info. I will respool more line on tomorrow. I have caught many catfish in the 20 to 30 lb. Range so I’m excited to see how this compares.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

We kind of gave up trying to rent boats in the Keys. March is a very windy month. Rent ahead to get a good boat they don’t return your money if you get blown out. Often can’t find a boat near term when u know the weather is going to be good.

Captain Steve out of Islamorada on Yabadaba Doo is an excellent charter boat. Hes won several sailfish tournaments. Boat absolutely spotless with great equipment. Good luck.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Dramamine for Seasickness works for me. So does focusing on a fixed point on shore.

My wife gets seasick, carsick and airsick!! She takes Bonine and usually doesn’t have a problem

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for the info. I will respool more line on tomorrow. I have caught many catfish in the 20 to 30 lb. Range so I’m excited to see how this compares.

It doesn’t.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It doesn’t.

Not even close. I’ve caught a few “smaller” tarpon in Puerto Rico. The fight is unbelievable.

Steve Hale

They are not even close. Catfish is a big but lazy fish…..
    Saltwater fish can swim and swim fast and a long time……

I would just be comfortable catching anything…….don’t target one fish because it is hard to find that one type usually

Take a lot of bait – – -squid always work well for a variety of species when anchored. (don’t drop anchor on the reefs expensive lesson)

Jensen

This is very helpful info thanks all. You guys are getting me more excited for this trip.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Well there are saltwater catfish. They’ll make you hate catfish. Definitely keep your extremities away from them.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.