Fishing in a Pontoon

• Big2thpick
    NULL

I am in the process of looking into pontoons. I am a pretty avid fisherman, but also want to be able to cruise, relax, and have people out with me on the lake. One of the brands I am looking at, said they could customize anything and everything about the layout and accessories. What would your “must haves” be for a fishing pontoon?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

the only must have I can think of for me on a pontoon is a designated driver

BigWerm
    SW Metro

A good rod holder setup to match the number of people the pontoon can hold.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Livewell.

A good rod holder setup to match the number of people the pontoon can hold.

You talking about setting them in there while you fish or vertical ones to stow the rods so they aren’t getting in the way? Ideally, I’d want both. But keeping rods out of the way when not in use was something I would want. When there are a lot of people they get in the way and can even be dangerous or be damaged.

404 ERROR
    MN

the only must have I can think of for me on a pontoon is a designated driver

I like this answer. toast

It depends on the type of fishing you want to do. If you plan on trolling a lot, I would look at one with a larger rear deck with a couple chairs outside of the railings. If you hook into a large fish and want to net it, it is much easier to do on the rear deck. Trolling with more than 2 rods on a pontoon can cause a mess when moving around because of the awning most pontoons have. Try to get all rod holders behind the awning uprights if you can.

The newer pontoons have some serious HP, ensure your main motor can troll down to speeds you find acceptable. No matter what you chose, be sure to post some pictures of the setup you go with!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Rod holders would seem easy enough to DIY without the mark-up of dealers, but built in cup holders would be nice. Not a fan of the normal aftermarket cup holders from the stores.

Electric anchor would be nice, possibly both sides up front.

Good sun top obviously.

Built in cooler and seperate bait aeroter. Livewells are overrated.

A built in mini jump board would be sweet for the front. Be able to stow under the front somehow. We’ve had great times with adults and kids coming up with the most creative dives. Run the whole deck then a nice “crappie flop” won it last year. This year the BIL cowabunga turtle kick took first prize.

Big2thpick
    NULL

These are all great guys, it is much appreciated. Rod lockers, electric anchors, cooler, and a DD are all needed.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I recommend one designed with fishing in mind. The ones with wrap around seats in the front are not ideal for fishing. You need access up front and around the rail to stand over the water and fish. I think front decks are the best for fishing and providing room for a bowmount motor.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

you know it may not be what you have in mind but the in laws have an old pontoon up at the cabin that’s basically just a steering wheel and a plane deck with a small railing around it. This is actually kind of nice to use cause its a blank canvas and you can customize it for each trip. If I want to take it out fishing I can pack in as much gear as I want and use it fishing. If I want to just haul a bunch of people around the lake for a sunset cruise we just have a bunch of foldable chairs and away we go. the plus sides of this concept is its cheap, and pliable to your situation. On the negative side, there are little amenities and its not fancy at all.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

On the negative side, there are little amenities and its not fancy at all.

It still would attract bikinis though, just maybe less teeth.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Electric anchors are nice too. No one likes pulling up the muddy, weed tangled anchor.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It still would attract bikinis though, just maybe less teeth.

You say that like it is a negative thing. coffee

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You talking about setting them in there while you fish or vertical ones to stow the rods so they aren’t getting in the way? Ideally, I’d want both

Both would be good, but I was referring to the ones for fishing. Running a pontoon w/ 8 rods for 8 people and planer boards just seems like a great time! lol

Maybe @Will Roseberg can chime in, pretty sure he’s a ‘toon fishing veteran.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Since you will be able to have many people on a pontoon. What about a mast trolling system?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

They have pontoons for cruising, pontoons for fishing and the one I like is the Fish and Cruise.
    The fish and cruise typically comes with 2 rear seats and a live well. Some will have a tackle storage, some rod storage. The motor is key if you want to troll.
    Remember you can get large motors (115) that can be dialed down to 1 mph if needed.
    and of course a DD, preferably someone with the same initials. tongue

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Both would be good, but I was referring to the ones for fishing.

In my memories of my brothers lake and the pontoon, rod management always comes to mind. The ones you weren’t using you’d rest on a rail and they’d slide to a corner or worse, in the gap of a rail gate where it hinges. Once you have like 4+ people, it becomes a pain. I’ve had my brothers dog take a treble in the ear from a pole leaning against a cushion in the back. Thankfully, she was calm and we got it out without harm. But what it if hooked her mouth or God forbid an eye.

This is why I say the #1 must have is a way to organize and store the rods out of the way.

Brad Hak

During the summer when I am in Maine a pontoon is all I have to fish out of. It does the trick, but the must have is a powerful trolling motor. If there is any wind at all that boat is like a sail. Trying to do things like flipping docks and trees is impossible without at least a 70 in my opinion

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Running a pontoon w/ 8 rods for 8 people and planer boards just seems like a great time! lol

That’s how Gene Miller rolls!

Oh yeah, a kick a$$ sound system is a must!

-J.

***Gene Miller runs a muskie/pike guide service trolling out of a pontoon on Mille Lacs.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

A good net with about an 8′ extension handle. Landing fish on a pontoon can be a challenge.

Big2thpick
    NULL

This is why I say the #1 must have is a way to organize and store the rods out of the way.

This was my first thought. A locking rod locker for at least 8 rigs. Who has eve bought a boat and thought “Man I wish I had Less storage space”.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

cruising the lake in comfort. Are you taking back Omaha beach!!!

just kidding pontoons are pretty cool. figure out where you are putting the bbq

blank

I’d highly recommend a bow mount trolling motor if you’re going to be fishing for bass or panfish, and have it mounted to quick release bracket such as the Minnkota MKA-21 which is a smooth edged plastic puck or a MKA-32 which has a cover over the plate. An exposed metal bracket with sharp corners could definitely hurt someone in bare feet.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have a premier 23′ castaway. It has four swivel chairs, 2 front & 2 back. 8 vertical rod holders, 4 front & 4 back, also has a horizontal rod locker. two live wells, which we use quite a bit. One for minnows. It has the pop up “changing room” with the sun deck on top. I thought it was a waste of space but it’s something I wouldn’t go without now, we put a lugaboo loo in there for the gals so we don’t have to go back to the cabin every 20 minutes.

We put a high thrust 50 horse Yamaha on it and it’s been fine for us. It also has a plug in up front for a trolling motor. When I put a new Motor Guide on the Lund last year I put the slide mount for the old one on toon, pretty slick when the water is glass to silently cruise around and cast.

We love ours!

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I definitely recommend a trolling motor for fishing, but I’m a bass fisherman. I’ve spent many a trip on the old GEM Fishing Camp pontoon fishing with both kids and adults. They make for a surprisingly nice fishing platform.

jwellsy

The ultimate option for a pontoon boat is to put a boat hull under it. A deck boat has the superstructure layout of a pontoon boat on a boat hull. You can load as many people on board as you have vests and still ski 2 people. I don’t think you can find a more flexible pleasure craft than a deck boat.

Deck Boats

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.