Fishing hats attached to nets?

• 3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I put a fishing hat on a net before if it was slimy, or grungy and needed to be washed but it seems like every time you watch a fishing show now there’s a hat attached to the net. Why?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I put a fishing hat on a net before if it was slimy, or grungy and needed to be washed but it seems like every time you watch a fishing show now there’s a hat attached to the net. Why?

What show? Online? got a link?

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Only guy I ever saw I don’t watch anymore – Larry Smith. I will NOT “Hang on to my hiney”. The same guy that aired a 15 year old bear hunter in a tree stand without a safety harness.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Yes, today it was Smith but it happens a lot it seems. No big deal, just wondering.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

but it happens a lot it seems.

I’ve personally never seen this, that’s why I asked. Is this Larry Smith on youtube? Where else have you seen this a lot?

LabDaddy1

I’ve never heard of or seen this done

Reef W

I don’t even understand what you are talking about. What does attaching a fishing hat mean? ???

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I don’t even understand what you are talking about. What does attaching a fishing hat mean? ???

Go to about 2:10 mark to see an example. See it frequently on Larry’s show. Don’t know the answer….

-J.

Reef W

Go to about 2:10 mark to see an example. See it frequently on Larry’s show. Don’t know the answer….

I now have more questions than before lol

JEREMY
    BP

I think Larry fished with John G to much. Dont get the hat thing.

Ripjiggen

Don’t worry Reef you are not the only one. I don’t get it at all.

Mike m

Larry Smith is one of the few fishing shows I will watch anymore, have not noticed this hat thing . Maybe an advertising thing ? Or as previously stated , a good luck thing ?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Never heard of or seen this. Is it a good luck thing? I’ve heard of people throwing something in the net for good luck when you are on a tough streak. Pretty sure Pete mania did it on a film. It has worked for me with a nice Muskie.

So just any random item? Never heard of this. Oh and Larry is a crazy dude, I have not watched the show in a long time, sometimes a bit to much to take but hey Bill Dance is still on TV so?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I thought you had to toss lures into the net for luck. Some people think it adds to your luck in catching a big fish since you are now not prepared for it. You might as well toss your net into the water if you believe in that. Then you will catch a record setting fish.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Never heard of this. Oh and Larry is a crazy dude, I have not watched the show in a long time, sometimes a bit to much to take but hey Bill Dance is still on TV so?

I’ve met Larry, he’s an alright dude!

Buffalo Fishhead

I would think having something like a hat attached to a landing net would create drag that could hinder netting efficiency.

Buffalo Fishhead

CaptainMusky

I would think having something like a hat attached to a landing net would create drag that could hinder netting efficiency.

Buffalo Fishhead

Or worse yet catch hooks as you are trying to land fish.

LabDaddy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Buffalo Fishhead wrote:</div>

Buffalo Fishhead

Or worse yet catch hooks as you are trying to land fish.

Exactly my thought

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Larry does it so people ask questions. Someone says “Hey why do you have hats on your net, then he says so people like you ask that question…”

Larry is a great guy. I’ve had some good conversations with him and he even towed us in at LOTW last summer when we blew up 26 miles out on tournament day.

Hodag, you seem to have something against Larry?

OP, I’ve only ever seen Larry do it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Larry does it so people ask questions. Someone says “Hey why do you have hats on your net, then he says so people like you ask that question…”

This sounds like the Larry Smith I met at the boat show. I said, “Larry I really like your show!” He replies, “What do you like best?, What is your favorite episode?, What do you like better open water or ice?” Very inquisitive person for sure.

As for the “Hang on to your Hiney” line he uses. Pretty common saying growing up in the late 60’s and 70’s. Sounds like an age thing that bugs the younger folks? I like it! He should trademark it! mrgreen

-J.

CaptainMusky

Talked to a buddy about this last night. He said watch what they do before they net the fish. They first dip the net in the water which soaks the hat, the hat then holds the net bag down for better dipping of the fish. Seems logical I guess but would have never thought to do this. Notice the nets are always full fabric and not mesh ones?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Seems logical I guess

Not really logical at all. Look at the video again.
    (A) The hat is outside the net so would not be holding any part of the net “down”.
    (B) The net is a mesh design. don’t know that I have ever ever seen a landing net that wasn’t some sort of fabric mesh or rubber mesh.

Attachments:
    1. nethat.jpg

CaptainMusky

Not really logical at all. Look at the video again.
    (A) The hat is outside the net so would not be holding any part of the net “down”.
    (B) The net is a mesh design. don’t know that I have ever ever seen a landing net that wasn’t some sort of fabric mesh or rubber mesh.

Other videos I have seen besides this one the hat was most definitely inside the bag. Regarding the net being mesh, duh, I wasnt talking about the net I was talking about the hats not being mesh so they soak up more water.

CaptainMusky

If that’s really the reason they are doing that they aren’t very smart. There would be much better ways of solving that that don’t require the net to be dunked and don’t add something to catch hooks on.

We’ve put a lot of Muskies in the boat and that has never been an issue I’ve been concerned with. Maybe I scoop em different.

I wouldnt do it either, especially for muskies. Far too many big hooks to get caught on literally anything.

Cody Meyers

I’m not a Larry guy….my buddies like his show, I just can’t do it. Shotgun’s cooking segment is some of the worst television that I’ve viewed.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

May be as simple as a reminder of a friend who passed.

Not everything needs a deep dive investigation fellas.

I can’t net a fish with my big Beckman net without thinking of the man who died too young to give it to me.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am sure it is a sponsor thing… $500 gets you on the net for an episode. If they catch lots of fish, lots of air time. If not… too bad. jester

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.